Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KING COBRA \"ODDITY?\"

I recently purchased a stainless steel King Cobra with 6" barrel, vented rib (3 cuts), full squared under lug, and crown like the Anaconda or Python. In fact,from a distance, it looks like an Anaconda. It is also ported with tapered cuts parallel to the rib and drilled & tapped for a scope mount. It has the King Cobra logo on the barrel. Has anyone seen another like this? I bought it because of these unique features, but am not sure if it came from the factory that way. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Re: KING COBRA \"ODDITY?\"

Sounds special to me.
How about some pics?

Best of luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I'll try to post some pictures.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

Yes, but I own my 6 inch Diamondback .22LR just for sport.

It takes upto 15 months before you can get a gunpermit in the Netherlands and that's for sport use only and you must have a clean past with no connection to crime or criminals.The law has been changed recently and gives the police the ability to confiscate guns and take away the permit if one only associates with criminals. On ocassion you can get a permit for selfdefence but in my opinion if you need that you must have pissed of somebody pretty bad. An other exception goes for shipping because in some waters in the world piracy still exists and we still are a seefaringnation.

Fortunately I don't have to carry a gun for selfdefense in the Netherlands. I just like to feed my DB once a week at the gunclub. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

That's why I love the Colt revolvers. Many unusual variations were created and still are today. Great find.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Here we go(Hope this works):

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The image hosting site reduced the image quality when I downloaded the pics. They were much sharper when I scanned them.

·
Registered
794 Posts

Babalooie, that certainly is interesting. What is the S/N of this gun? (OK to X-out the last couple digits if you like.) It may give us a clue as to what this is.

I have never run across a KC like yours. It could be a post 1997, perhaps from the custom shop. My reasoning is that the barrel porting for the KC became optional in 1997, and in the same year KC's were factory drilled and tapped for scope. I don't own a late KC so I can't tell if the drilling for scope looks to be factory or not. But the KC roll mark and that barrel could only have come from the factory.

Or it could be an mid 90's custom shop gun. The reason I say this is because the Grizzly 357 (produced in the mid 90's) also used the Python type barrel just like the one in your photo, but was roll marked Colt Grizzly. It also had the same type of porting (long slit as opposed to several round holes) and compared to my Grizzly, appears to be factory work.

This gun may end up being some kind of Lew Horton or Western Hoagee offering. To be clear, this is pure guess work on my part.

I'd start my research by calling Colt to get a Date of Manufacture.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

That surely doesn't look like a fake.

Could a Colt letter help out here?

That's a very, very nice snake, even when the pics don't came up as intended, congrats!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Serial Number is: <font color="blue"> </font> KU49XX <font color="blue"> </font>

Colt customer service (they close for lunch) said the gun was made "around 2000"

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

If your gun was produced in 2000 it is most likely a custom shop job, because to my knowledge (FWIW) the King Cobra was discontinued in 1999.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

I saw one of those on GunBroker in an ad for some stag stocks. The picture was't real clear and I wondered about that revolver. It is something different.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks for everyone's input. You all provided a great deal of information on this KC. To be honest, I'm a Smith and Wesson man when it comes to revolvers. I am a great fan of the 1911 and own several in different configurations. But, this piece just grabbed me in a very special way. My only fear now, is that my addiction will spread to Colts also.

Thanks, again.

Regards,

Joe Z. (Babalooie)

·
Registered
117 Posts

I wonder if Colt didn't have a European line of Revo's.

Maybe this one is from that.

Brian

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Could be a European version, I guess.
However, I got it in a suburb of Chi-town.

·
Registered
91 Posts

The Trooper Mark V which is almost the same gun as the King Cobra has vented ribs on it, but does not have a full lug. Your gun looks like a King Cobra with a stainless Mark V barrel will a full lug. Neat variation.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts

Colt produced a few factory ported guns in that time frame and model series, such as the Grizzly, and the Kodiak. The Grizzly was simply a King Cobra with ported barrel, unfluted cylinder, and with different rollmarks and grip medallions. It would require some research by Colt to determine if yours was a special order, or just aftermarket modifications. I would guess the latter is most likely.
The MKV Trooper was only made with blue or nickel finsh.

·
Registered
185 Posts

If ya ever get interested in a sale/trade for that particular piece let me know.....(seriously)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Will keep that in mind. I'm going to request a factory letter and see what I have first.

Thanks for your interest

1 - 20 of 56 Posts