Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted this before, but thought I'd give it another try:

About a year or two ago, I purchased a stainless steel King Cobra with 6" barrel, vented rib (3 cuts), full squared under lug, and crown like the Python. In fact,from the right side, it looks like a Python. It is also ported with tapered cuts parallel to the rib and drilled & tapped for a scope mount. It has the King Cobra logo on the left side of the barrel.

Has anyone seen another like this? I bought it because of these unique features, but am not sure if it came from the factory that way. Any ideas?

I got a letter from Colt and it made no mention of the barrel. I'm thinking it was one of the last production models produced, maybe the last one off the assembly line.

In the letter, mention was made to the fact that it was part of a 20 or 30 piece order.

It's possible they ran out of SS 6" barrels for the KC and took a Python barrel, roll marked it as a KC, and sent it off to finish out the order.

Does anyone know who I could contact at Colt to possibly get a clarification? They never provided a phone # with the letter.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Without any detailed knowledge of those models (barrel threads ), I might think that it could be an Anaconda barrel. Colt has apparently been known to do that sort of thing in a pinch. Kathy Hoyt is the historian as you know from your letter and perhaps, having lettered it, you could get some additional phone conversation about it, but it is also apparently very possible that the records don't indicate "substitutions". So, from my reply you don't know much more. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Did you post a pic? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I kinda remember this subject before.
Didn't we find out that of few people had them ?
If you lettered the gun and it did not mention the barrel, I would think that you would be entitled to a phone call.
You will probably need to speak to Beverly at extension 1343 at Colt. Very nice lady.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I remember your post indeed!

Another Colt mistery with a beautiful King Cobra in the spotlight.

Here's the thread with the pictures!

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=14830&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

P.S. read the thread back and another option just came up in my mind:

Is it possible to get in touch with the dealer that received the KC? Maybe he knows more about those guns, after all: he ordered them!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the phone contact and posting my old thread w/pics.

I'll provide updates as they come up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I kinda remember this subject before.
Didn't we find out that of few people had them ?
Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, no. People referred to other models of KC type revolvers, but none looked exactly like this one.

·
Registered
689 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
It is also ported with tapered cuts parallel to the rib

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also be curious about the porting. I know the subject has been touched on previously however I don't recall a definitive answer. Most speculation was that Colt sent such requests to Magnaport.

Anyone know for sure? Babalooie, if you have yet to contact Colt you may want to inquire on the porting as well...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts