Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I handled 3 of them recently, fired a box of 158 grain .357's through one of them and deemed it to be fun. All three have looser cylinders than I find in the old style Colts. I mean, with trigger held back and hammer lowered, I can wiggle the cylinder. With older Colts, going back to a US M1909, the cylinder will be rock solid at that point. Does this mean the KC will not be as accurate?

Oh, did I mention I bought the high-polish one? The one with a serial number of 0911 ("I don't call 911, I load 911"). So, on this AA frame, can I install grips from the I or J or V frames? Thanks for answers.

Bart Noir

·
Registered
794 Posts
Cool, great purchase Bart!

As for the grips you can’t use the I-frame or the J-frame grips on your Snake. You will need what is considered a V-frame set of grips. This will work on the models AA and MM which stand for the King Cobra and Anaconda respectively. So in simple terms anything that will work on an Anaconda will work on a KC and vise versa.

Regard the difference in lock-up between the older Colts and the modern V-frame guns as a simple fact of life. That is to say, don’t expect these new guns to lock-up like the older ones. Brand new never fired V-frame guns will demonstrate exactly what you describe. Or put another way, they act more like a Smith.

As to the exact technical reasons why there is a difference, I will defer that to one of the other guys to explain. This has been explained in a previous post but I can’t remember what post it was.

(Oh yea, so where's the picture of the one you bought?)

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I have an extra set of wood Colt King Cobra grips that are as NEW with package & Gold Colt emblems.
Email me if you are interested.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, can't do the pics. "We (don't) have the technology". It's just a very shiny KC with the factory rubber grips. Now I am looking around at wooden ones. Thanks for the info.

Bart Noir

1 - 4 of 4 Posts