Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what the difference is between a KC and a KC "enhanced". What does the enhanced mean? Also what should I expect to pay for a KC, 6 inch, SS, enhanced, as new in box? any help will be much appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
I received a call from one of my favorite gun shops(the one that sold me a rare S&W 586 2 1/2" at a discounted price) as they just took in a couple of Colts on trade- a Python and a King Cobra. He stated that the box was marked "Enhanced" on the King Cobra(box SNed to gun). I commented that it must be drilled and tapped to which he said it wasn't. As he was examining it he mentioned that there was an allen screw in the trigger, possibly a trigger stop. Was this factory installed? Would this be the "Enhanced" as opposed to the drilled/tapped top strap?
Any help would be appreciated.
Darnell

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
Depends on where the Allen screw is.

The Colt Trooper Mark III, Mark V, King Cobra revolvers all have a small Allen screw in the top rear of the trigger, and this is a trigger stop, but it's really a factory-set stop used to adjust the trigger for proper operation, not a true user adjustment.

This tiny Allen screw is visible at the top rear of the trigger. It's not in the finger piece where stops are typically placed, and is visible when the trigger is in the forward position.

The Enhanced drill and tap was a hole UNDER the rear sight as I recall, and isn't normally visible.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 03-17-2005).]

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm anxious to see it tomorrow. The previous KC I owned was drilled/tapped and this was visable in front of the rear sight on the top strap.
Darnell

·
Registered
95 Posts
Box marked Enhanced, but it was not drilled and tapped. Mis-marked box? Allen screw was at the top of the trigger in the back as stated.
Thanks,
Darnell

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm not positive on this, but my belief is that the so called "Enhanced" model of the King Cobra was brought out in 1997.

At this time (1997) all King Cobras were drilled and tapped for scope mounts. To support my belief, the model number on the box in 1997 was AA30X0EDT. E for enhanced, D for drilled and T for tapped.

Prior to 1997 King Cobras were not drilled and tapped and their model number was AA30XX.

A similar naming convention can be found on the Python of 1997 where the model number became I30X0CS. Where C was for Custom and S was for Shop. Remember that beginning in 1997 production of the Python was from the Custom Shop only by special order.

So Darnell, what was the model number on the box/case?

[This message has been edited by WS23 (edited 03-19-2005).]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just curious... is a King Cobra close in size, feel, and quality to a Python? I know they're not the same gun and that the Python must be considered a superior gun, but is the King Cobra a close second to the Python? Are the actions the same? Frames the same?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts