Colt Forum banner

Should Colt (with TALO/Lipsey's) make a proper target-length King Cobra Target?

• Yes, a 5"-5.5" barrel would be perfect.

Votes: 31 70.5%
  • No, I prefer a short barrel in a target revolver.

Votes: 13 29.5%

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a fan of the new King Cobra Target from Colt, but it only has a 4.25" barrel. For a proper "target" revolver, it should have a 5"-5.5" barrel (I think 6" would be too long for this frame size). Even with the longer barrel, it would probably come in below or right at the weight of the new 4.25" Python that everyone is after and only 0.25"-0.5" longer in overall length.

What does everyone think?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want an 8-inch barrel as found on past target Colt revolvers, such as Pythons, Anacondas and King Cobras.
If Colt continues giving the people what they want, I'm sure the revenues will support expanding to the 8-inch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think that the six inch Diamondback is a fine looking revolver, so I'm not sure why Colt couldn't make a new King Cobra with at least another inch on the barrel.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
One of my early obtained Colt DA revolvers was a 1925 nickel army special 5” 38. I still have it and it has wonderful balance. Sure, 5, 5 1/2 or 6” and Colt can still call it a target gun even though the python or older officers models with a heavier frame would be preferred for target shooting.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
I want an 8-inch barrel as found on past target Colt revolvers, such as Pythons, Anacondas and King Cobras.
I vote that if colt makes another 8” barrel revolver to do it with balance in mind. My trooper MKV 8” simply balances better than my 8” python hunter ( with out the scope). An 8” barrel simply doesn’t need an underlug or fat heavy barrel. Realistically the 8” double action market is a small small world.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Very good points. I have a Colt Trooper MKIII 357 and 22 that are both 8" barrels. The 22 is HEAVY. That 357 balances pretty nice though. My "Python Target 38 Special Cartridge" has an 8" barrel-like they all did. It's meant for Bullseye, but to hold that out 1-handed..... You would have to be a bodybuilder to hit anything! I am an OCD Colt collector. Many collectors shun the MKIII and MKV revolvers. I happen to like them. During Colt's testing of the MKIII Trooper, they took 1 random revolver and shot over 20,000 full-house 357 Magnum loads through it plus dry-fired it 250,000 times with no measurable wear. THAT is saying something! I liked the wide trigger. I liked the wide hammer. Trigger overtravel was adjustable with a screw! That revolver had some very positive points. The action was designed by Karl Lewis, the same man who designed the Dan Wesson action. I have a copy of "insider" paperwork that states it was the first new Colt revolver mechanism in 70 years, it represented a 42% cost reduction in material and labor. It was signed by Karl Lewis.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm also a fan of the Trooper MK lll. Some of Lewis' finest design work went into this revolver. Despite a few trigger breakages and firing pin fractures during its half century history, it remains one of the strongest mid size double action revolvers ever made. It will shoot a steady diet of Magnum loads with utmost reliability and accuracy with minimal maintenance. I've never owned a MK V, but I'm sure I would like the shorter hammer travel. After shooting my Dan Wesson revolvers it does take an adjustment on my part to get used to the much longer hammer travel of the MK lll.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The quality of the sights, the quality of the trigger release and the steadiness of the grip are the factors that will enable a shooter to hold tight groups with a handgun. This can be done equally well with a 4" barrel as a 10". My personal preference is a 4 or 6 inch barrel. The only longer barreled revolver that I owned that balanced well for me was a S&W Model 27 with an 8 3/8" tapered barrel. The grip can make a big difference on how a revolver balances in the hand. I really like the Hogue finger groove wooden grips, but a lot of shooters prefer rubber. Conventional wisdom says that the longer sight radius is an aid to accuracy, yet the trade-off of an unwieldy overly long barrel may not be worth it to some shooters. It's really a matter of what works for you. Since some of you guys prefer the longer barrels then I vote that you should be able to have them. Now that Colt is finally making some revolvers again I would hope that some longer barreled options may be available in the not too distant future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts