Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired this piece from a family member. I am having trouble finding information on King Cobra models with the 8" Vent Ribbed barrels. I have seen one online but nobody that I know personally knows anything about them. The family member I got this from has at it for at least 15 years maybe more. He couldn't remember...I remember shooting it nearly 15 years back though.
If anyone can give me an idea of value it would be appreciated. The serial number ends in CK. Not KC like I would expect.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Vent rib King Cobras exist. Both Grizly and Whitetailer II were King Cobra platform guns with vented barrels. Some got rollmarked as regular King Cobras. As to the serial number, King Cobras have more variations in serial than probably any other Colt, and CK suffix has been used among many others. The 1990s was pure chaos at Colt, which explains the situation with King Cobras. As a nice shooter without box I would value it at $1,800-$2,000 with a slight premium for the vent rib.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Welcome and you can start here King Cobra You should be able to google more information. The 8 inch vented is more rare than the 4 inch or 6 inch. I think your value is great than $2000,00, but how much more I cannot say. The 8 inch is strictly for shooting and not much for carrying. I like my 4 inch, not vented, but it is a tack driver.

Colt King Cobra L.jpg

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Nice rare gun. I was never a KC guy but if they had vented the rib I may have purchased a few. I just like the look on the vented rib Colts. My favorite though for size feel and look is the 2.5" Diamondback. It is just perfect I feel. Just my opinion. The gun you have is sweet. Enjoy shooting it and keep it clean it will always be worth more than the average.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Incredible!

Colt had/has a very different taken on experimental & production revolvers. One-offs, or 10-offs were common. This gun is emplimatic.
Not more than 5 years ago, I attended the SHOT SHOW in Las Vegas. The last day of the show, Friday, my friends & I attended the Antique Gun & Knife show at the iconic Rivera Hotel. There, an exhibitor was attempting to sell a "stainless steel" Colt DiamondBack in .38 special.
As far as I know, Colt NEVER made DiamondBacks in stainless steel, as production ended before Colt used stainless steel.
His Colt DiamondBack at the show had the "ColtGuard" finish applied to blue steel.
in fact, Colt applied the "ColtGuard" finish to some Pythons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts