Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a King Cobra follow me home yesterday. SN: KE406#

I've been looking at Colts online at the auction house's and have not seen the Colt banner on a grip before. The inside of the grips are marked Vintage Industries and an address on one side. The other side has Colt V Frame and Vintage Industries marked. They are also marked Made in USA. Did someone add these aftermarket or would these have came from the factory?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dave

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have seen those grips on the newer Anacondas. Since the King Cobra has the same frame maybe someone bought replacement grips and put them on.

FC

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Vintage Industries makes aftermarket grips. I have a medallioned target set that will fit a Python. I don't know that Colt didn't use some of those in later years. The 1995 and 96 catalogs show the KCs (and Anacondas) with exactly that grip - with medallion and banner. The equivalent combat style was also used on the SF-VI, made only 1995-96, but they were Pachmayr. In the 1997 catalog, the DS-II grips have only the banner, the Anaconda has only the medallions and the KC still shows both. Some may be a matter of using stock photos. Go figure. The Vintage grips are generally noticeably lighter in weight than the Pachmayr/Pachmayr-equivalent Colt. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I haven't seen those on a KC before. My KC has plain rubber grips with gold colt emblems and are marked "Colt V Frame" inside

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,679 Posts
In the later days of the Colt DA revolver, Colt apparently decided to cut costs by having a contractor make "replica" versions of the more expensive Pachmayr grips.

The Pachmayr grips have a steel "core" that reinforces them, and these later near-copies do not, which accounts for the lighter weight.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Got my curiosity up.
My Anaconda has grips exactly like my King Cobra except the colt emblems are silver instead of gold. They have no Banner and they are marked colt V inside

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dfariswheel you're right as usual these grips do not have any sort of extra support in them. I noticed this when I was tightening up the grip screw that if wasn't feeling like it got to hard stop but rather felt like it pulling the rubber on the other side towards it.

I like grips similar to the stock service grip found on the Official Police MKIII. These smaller profile grips fit my hand better. As a result I shoot far more accurately and precisely with this smaller style grip. Does anyone know if a smaller grip is available for the Anaconda/KC grips? I would prefer one that has the Colt medalion.

Dave

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I like grips similar to the stock service grip found on the Official Police MKIII. These smaller profile grips fit my hand better. As a result I shoot far more accurately and precisely with this smaller style grip. Does anyone know if a smaller grip is available for the Anaconda/KC grips? I would prefer one that has the Colt medalion.

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Read thid post as a result of searching it out as a reference. If you didn't get an answer somewhere else or discover it yourself, the answer is yes, there are service grips for the 2" Lawman MkV that are similar to those for the 2" Lawman MkIII, but narrower as is the grip frame. I believe they should fit the Anaconda. I have seen some on EBay recently and another member may even have a set for sale. They look like this /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks very much A1A. I have already purchased grips just like the ones you found for me. They were a little oversized. I needed to use the Dremel tool to get them to fit right. They were also basically unfinshed. I then used minwax with a stain and polyurathane together to finish the wood. They turned out pretty good. But to be honest if looks are important to you they make the KC look a little muzzle heavy cause they're so small. However since I shot about 500 rounds through my KC and fit the new stocks the accuracy has improved to meet my standards.

Dave

·
Registered
715 Posts
I've seen KCs and Anacondas with these silver medallioned, Colt bannered stocks before, they were standard fare on these guns. My KC and one of my Anacondas came with them, my other two Anacondas came with the 2 piece gold medallioned fake Pachmayrs. I replaced them all with Colt/Pachmayrs because I prefer the slimmer profile and softer rubber they use and I sold one pair of the Colt bannered stocks to a ColtForum member recently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts