Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a King Cobra that I got in 1996 for my 16th birthday. It has a 6" barrel and is stainless. I have only fired about 50 rounds through it because it frustrates me that I cannot get the powder burns (rings) off the front of the cylinder. Is there a secret to this besides scrubbing until your arm hurts? I would like to shoot it more often and even considered getting it ported by Colt. Does anyone have a lot of experience with King Cobras that can share it with me? I am also looking for a set of factory wood grips if anyone has some, please let me know. Thanks a lot!!!

[This message has been edited by mattz357 (edited 08-19-2004).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Matt from peoria. I was just in your home town last week. The rings can be removed by scrubbing them with a rag that is treated with a heavy duty cleaning agent. I can't remember the name of the solution, but I do remember that the rag is made. I think that it was some heavy fowling remover.

------------------
It's better to die on your feet then to live on your knee's.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,906 Posts
The best method of cleaning the front of the cylinder is to go to most any gun shop and buy a lead removal cloth. These are yellow
cloths that will remove lead and powder rings from metal. They can also be bought, or cut yourself, into patches to remove lead from the chambers and bore. These also will remove rust from parts.
DO NOT use on blued guns....they will strip the bluing right off.

New Colt grips can be bought from Gun Parts Corp at: www.e-gunparts.com However, Colt didn't make a wood grip for the King Cobra. as far as I know, they were all the rubber Pachmayer "Gripper" type with Colt medallions. There is a wood grip for the earlier Colt Trooper Mark 5 that will probably fit, but these were the ugliest grip Colt ever made. A good substitute would be a set of fancy wood grips from Hogue. These feel better, and sure look better. Colt wood Trooper Mark 5 grips often show up on Ebay, auctionarms, and gunbroker, under 'colt grip' and 'colt grips'.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 04-01-2002).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts