Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I troll Craigslist on a regular to find desperate firearm sellers. I keep what I like and sell the rest to pay for the ones I keep! Well I've never been a revolver guy and shy'd from them since I don't know much. That all being said, I had to jump on what was described as a chrome revolver. Met the fella and walked away with a 95% King Cobra 4" in bright stainless. Called colt and they couldn't find the numbers. Talked to the custom shop and the historian. Gave them a credit card on hopes they find its history. Did some research after the call and I can guess from what I've read that this is an enhanced model. Barrel has a recess to it and the cylinder lock is oversized. I do have stock silver medallion grips as well as the Hogue grips.

So my questions are,
Is this common that Colt can't find a serial number?
Did I throw away $600?

This pistol is definitely going to be a keeper no matter what and I'm afraid I may be snake gun bit.

Gratuitous pic:

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Gun is worth $1100 give or take. It is not a Factory bright and the hammer and trigger are not polished. To some that hurt the value to others, it's just cool.

To heck with the letter. What good is it going to do to a King Cobra??? I'll answer, cost you $100.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Keystonearms. I ordered the history only because Colt couldn't find my serial number in their computers or on paper. I was on the phone with them for close to an hour. That's why I asked how rare is it that Colt can't find record of what they made. I was concerned about the lack of polish on the trigger and hammer. Whoever did polish it, did one heck of a job.

W

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I would imagine if they don't have record of the serial number they can't send a letter. Be interesting to see if they turn it up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.