Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a pre-70 commercial government model 1911 45 ACP at a local gun shop. Since purchasing it I discovered that it was customized by Kings Gun Works (barrell, barrell bushing, recoil spring/cap, sights, backstrap, trigger, magazine). The Kings stamp is on the slide, recoil spring cap and magazine. It took me a while to find out what the stamps were, but I was happy once I did. The gun is in mint condition. I am now looking for a colt revolver. I purchased the gun for $725. So far it seems like I made a good purchase. Any opinions would be appreciated. PICT1422.jpg PICT1423.jpg PICT1407.jpg

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
King's was a first rate operation, highly popular back in the day.
i see the straight ms housing, long trigger, different front and s&w rear sight. wonder what else they did?
i think you did great on the price and would love to hear a range report. bet it is accurate!

welcome to the forum, great first post! :D

·
Registered
249 Posts
For me what you bought is pretty much a "perfect" 1911. I like a blue steel colt with a good trigger and adjustable sights. Let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gun is a treat to shoot. Unfortunately any gun is only as accurate as the shooter and I don't think I am very accurate. The recoil spring is changed and so is the magazine (Kings stamped). The barrell is a MKVI N.M. and the barrell bushing is fitted to the barrell.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
a mainspring housing that has no arch, like what came stock on the Colt 1911's.
that gun came from the factory w/an arched mainspring housing.

if someone has a better or more up to date name for this, please correct me.
i like the straight or flat ms housing best, by the way.
i think they came factory stock on gold cups, also.
here are some, maybe what you were calling the backstrap...
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=1911+mainspring+housing

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was pretty sure that was what you were referring to, but I have always heard them called backstraps. I am pretty new to guns, but I am addicted now. I bought my first handgun in Dec 2010 and I have since bought 5 more. I wish I would have taken an interest earlier, but I am sure having fun with it now (and I have some extra money now that my kids are out of college and married). I would really like to purchase an old winchester lever action rifle next. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts