Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any news on Colt's Florida deal? The last info I found is from last year, then I heard the union was causing problems (surprise!).

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
With the infamy of the 80's UAW Strike it would make sense for Colt to have a location in a state that is a "Right To Work" state.I have absolutely NO Clue why the UAW wouldn't like that.Furthermore Florida isn't hostile to firearms manufacturers.Living in NY and seeing the way the Northeast vilifies gun owners it is incredible that S+W and Colt haven't cleared out years ago.JMHO.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I LOVE this state, it's the final destination for half the guns in this country. When old dudes retire they come here with their huge collections. When they go to the big gun shop in the sky the guns stay here. People whine about the "blue hairs" down here all the time but I treat them like royalty.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is part of an article from the December 16, 2011 Orlando Sentinel about the new Colt facility:

"Work is under way on bringing a 16,000-square-foot building up to code and converting it into a factory. The county will retain ownership of the building, which formerly housed the Council on Aging, with Colt paying rent of $1 a year for the first five years of the deal.

Company spokesman Carlton Chen said by email that the company is focusing on converting the building into "first-class manufacturing space."

In addition to the incentive package, Colt President and CEO William Keys cited Florida's regulatory environment and low cost of doing business as reasons for the expansion into Osceola.

The creation of the 63 jobs will be spread out over the coming years, starting in 2012.

"They have up to three years to create those jobs, and there are penalties at the state and local level if those jobs are not created," said Maria Toumazos, Osceola County's economic development administrator."

So what happened? Are they being penalized? Has the whole idea been scrapped? Another "win" for Obama?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
...... and half of them "old, blue-haired dudes" are probably old Canadian neighbors of mine, Bob.

Now that I know yer tricks Holdin, I'm gonna hafta talk to these old folks before they head on down to your neck of the woods. No freakin' wonder I can't hardly find a decent gun up here no more.

Bud

I LOVE this state, it's the final destination for half the guns in this country. When old dudes retire they come here with their huge collections. When they go to the big gun shop in the sky the guns stay here. People whine about the "blue hairs" down here all the time but I treat them like royalty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts