Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
For 'my' money, the Krag Carbine was the prettiest weapon ever issued - perfect balance, perfect sense of aesthetics.

I've looked for a nice one, from time to time, but they're never quite 'right'.

Lucky you!

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DF6, This one has the 1902 mod, but I guess all that stayed in service had that done to them. It probably was not one that was with Teddy Roosevelt on San Juan Hill, but it does have a prefect bore. I suspect the military armorers put a new barrel on it when the 1902 mod was done. This is the second one I have ever owned. The other got traded off on a 2nd gen SAA in 44 special in its original black box.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
i agree about the beauty of these carbines, they are just a nice looking gun. I have owned two; an 1899 that I didn't keep and the 1896 which I still have. My '96 was being used as a hunting gun with the top wood removed and an ugly sight put on it. I traded a Spanish-American War boxed and numbered Service Medal for a like new top wood. I purchased a rear sight for several hundred dollars which ended up being an 1896 rifle sight someone had milled and stamped carbine yardage numbers to it. So I bought a reproduction rear sight for another $100 and put it on. Then at a show I bought a ziplock bag of Krag parts ($25) and in there was an original 1896 Carbine rear sight!!! It was not a real good one having some rust etc. but it is now on my carbine which is now complete again as it would have been issued.. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DF6, There were two versions of the 1896. The early ones just had a date on the left side "1896" The later version had "Model 1896"
From my reading on the subject, it was mostly the ones marked "1896" that were used by TR's men.

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
The Krag is my favorite bolt action with the pre-64 70 a distant second. I have a slightly sporterized '96 carbine, a '98 Rifle and a '98 carbine. All 3 are very good with the latter 2 w/cartouches still visable. Actions like butter.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I always wanted one too. I got close once when I went to a good gun shop in Nebraska in 1990, and they had 3 carbines on the wall, for about $400 each. Rifles at the time were still $250. Being newlywed, I didn't buy the carbine. About 3 years later I settled for a nice 1898 rifle, I knew they would be going up in price pretty soon. Then one more chance about 10 years later at a gun show in Tucson. From way across the show I saw two young guys walk in carrying one, I could tell it was a Krag carbine from 10 rows away. I started heading for the door but before I got there a dealer stopped them. I politely waited in the wings as he talked, listening. They wanted $125 for it, had got it from Columbus, NM or some such (no joke). The guy actually tried to talk them down more! "well, see this isn't right here....see this ding in the wood? .... that trigger guard has some rust on it....blah"

He was such a good actor I finally got impatient after 15 min of this, and thought he wasn't going to buy it. Or at least I wanted to help the sellers, so I said, "hell, I'll give you $125 for it right now." That got the dealer to pull out his wallet and pay the guys. Probably put it on his table for $1,000 the next show.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
DF6, There were two versions of the 1896. The early ones just had a date on the left side "1896" The later version had "Model 1896"
From my reading on the subject, it was mostly the ones marked "1896" that were used by TR's men.
Mine is serial number 68649 and it is marked "Model 1896".

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Actually, there were three - the two versions you mention and the ones marked with just the date "1895" on the receiver.

1st U.S.V. Cavalry (Rough Rider) carbines are found in the 27, 28, 68, 74 and 77 thousand serial number ranges. The first two groups, at least, are marked 1895.

Reactions: saintclair

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
"saintclair", you did well with the Krag Carbine, it is just beautiul!!! I still with I had mine.

I have always like the Krag family of long guns; they were one of the best manufactutred rifles the US ever made. They were so ugly, they were pretty, LOL! The cartridge was not the best in the world and was a mistake to ever have made them the Official US firearm. They were great for target shooting though!

Back in the late 1960s or very early 1970s, I went to a gun show in Ashville, NC. One the vendors there had a rifle and carbine on his table; both were as close to mint as you could get......just beautiful. I was in college, did not have a lot of spending money, but the price for the rifle was $150 and the carbine was $200. I did not have that much money with me. The vendor was a very nice guy and I told him I wanted both firearms, and only had $300 with me (I had been saving money for guns) and what could we do? I told him I was a collector of militaty rifles and really wanted them. He finally relented and sold them to me for my $300. He said if I had been such a nice guy, he would not have sold them at that price, but he said he felt I would take good care of them!

I had those two Krags for about 10 years when I sold much of my collection to buy a new house. I still regret selling them, but they sure helped on a good down payment on a new house!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts