Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to the forum and just want to give you a heads up.
The reason I am starting another thread is that it is considered rude to change topics in someone else's thread, it's called hijacking and we don't want to do that.:)
To answer your question, I still have my redone Argentine, so the one you saw isn't or wasn't mine.
That's a pretty low serial number! Have any pics?
I think a bunch of us would like to hear about it.
Mine has been a real treasure! Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft gun Airsoft

That's it on the left, an unmodified one (frontstrap checkering is an add on thing) is on the right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply and also the "heads up" on forum etiquette. I'll be more careful in the future. From your description on your old post I could have sworn this was your gun. Anyway, it appears to me that this gun is #1278 of the 10,000 Colts made in Hartford and sent to Argentina in 1927/28. The number 1278 is on the top of the slide, the barrel is new. Won't know for sure if frame matches the slide as the frame serial number is under the main spring housing. However the frame has all the characteristics of a 1927 model. Here is a photo. Sorry about the small size, I took it off of the seller's website.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pic enlarges when you click on it. That one is the more desireable version than mine. Mine is the "Sistema Colt". Does it have a Colt match or aftermarket match barrel?
Are you buying it from a shop here?

Just curious, and since I'm on a roll, what are they asking? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just pulled the string on the purchase. It is was at Collector's Firearms on Fondern. I grew up in Houston so I am very familiar with that shop. Once they get my FFL's paperwork, its on its way to Az. The price was very reasonable (below $1000) so I'm not sure they realize it is a Hartford made Colt instead of a Sistema Argentina made Colt. I don't know anything about the barrel except that it has been replaced because there's no number on it. To be continued.............

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I doubt if the number on the slide is the guns serail number, the Argentines marked the slides with a number of their own, typically the frame has the same number.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In regard to the comment by Bearcat6, the gun I have purchased was made in Hartford by Colt and shipped to Argentine as part of a bulk purchase made in 1927. Argentina bought 10,000 pistols, these are not Sistema Colts. See the following historical data on the Argentina Colts -

In 1927 Colt manufactured 10,000 1911A1s for the Argentinean Army. This contract is unique in that it had its own serial number range starting at serial of: 1 to 10,000, and the pistols were marked in accordance with Argentine requirements. The only normal Colts markings are the standard left hand slide legend. These guns have the serial numbers in three places, the barrel, the slide and on the receiver frame under the main spring housing. There is a RA in a circle stamp on the receiver, barrel, and hammer. This marking indicates “Republic Argentina” and was applied by Argentinean inspectors at Colts. These “Modello 1927”, made in Hartford, by Colt should not be confused with pistols made in Argentina under license from Colts, and marked D.G.F.M. Both pistols are quality products and generally interchange, but there is a perceived difference in value between the two. Reference Charles Clawsons “Colt .45 Service pistols”.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.