Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1903 32 Nickel that could use a Kroil bath (Sticky trigger and mainspring safety); should I be concerned about the Nickel finish? It has some dark spots under grips and minor high edge wear. Thanks, Jackson wear

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Kroil is basically a petroleum distillate and as such shouldn't have any negative effect on nickel. Any solvent with ammonia, however, should be avoided. I've used Kroil on my nickel revolvers with no issues though I typically use Eezox as wet it's a cleaning agent and dry its a protectant and long lasting lubricant. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
Hi Jackson. I am not able to answer the question you are asking about the nickel finish, but I use Kroil in a clinical application ..if it is the spray you are refering to, comes in an orange spray can. its some very strong smelling stuff and instantly takes off all other grease .. which is great for degreasing sticky old grease. its like WD-40 on steroids. It is some strong stuff though. interested to see if anyone out there has used in on a nickel gun.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've used Kroil on my nickle DS for a long time....no issues. The problem isn't the nickle, it's the copper plateing under the nickle. Any solvant that is designed to remove copper fouling can damage the copper under the nickle plating leading to the nickle pealing off. I know Hoppe's #9 says not to soak nickle plated fire-arms for this reason.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts