Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas, please tell me about the gun shows where you live ... Living here where the hoot owls love the coyotes, I go to what I can, BUT ... Went to a, "US Guns and Knives," show in Wichita yesterday. Many people, many buyers. No factory people. No high end collector displays. Particularly bad news for us, "Colties." You could've put all the Colts there in a peach basket and still had room for enough peaches for your lunch all week. S&W, only slightly more. Even Ruger - in KANSAS, for Pete's sake, only a few. One nice display, from Cimarron Arms. It was artistically and professionally done and appealing and showed their whole, actual line. (With a Colt Cowboy and a US Arms ringer inserted for comparison - nicely done!) I'm comparing this show and the others I've been to to the annual shows for music teachers, also held in Wichita. At these shows, ALL the manufacturers set up displays - all nicely done and inviting and all are manned by smiling suit-and-tie people just busting to tell you why you ought to buy King trumpets instead of Jupiters, or whatever. Is our hobby ashamed of itself? I enjoy people-watching and if our area gun stores are only going to go after the, "spot-discount-price-point-second-hand-cheapie," buyer, they're missing the boat. They ain't even on the pier. They haven't even got their pants pressed. I'm thinking Colt marketing has got serious problems. Problems? Heck, is there a Colt sales force? There is such a thing as, "Snob Appeal/Slob Appeal," in marketing ... the folks buying yesterday looked like the cast of, "The Grapes of Wrath." These folks will buy Mr. Dealer's used .22 rifle because it's $3.00 cheaper than the vendor next to you, but that ain't gonna' make your store's sales qualify for the next level of wholesale discount come ordering time. I'd love to show you my sketches for a Python display. Ever see that, "Wheel of Guns," Sam Colt himself used? So, as soon as Colt and I agree on my salary, I'm prepared to take the little woman and move to Connecticut and begin. And by the way, all members of a recognized Colt forum get a gift certificate for 20% off the price of a new Python as a reward for keeping the faith. (God himself carries a 7 1/2" nickel played SAA, doesn't he? But no ivory - that would offend him.)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I live about as close to the middle of nowhere, as you can get, in Southern Ohio, but I, regularly, hit several of the gun shows from Cleveland, to as far south as Nashville, and it's amazing what might turn up. The Ohio Gun Collectors Show, at Milan and Wilmington, covers most of the collectable spectum of hanguns, and rifles.
Shows in Dayton, Columbus, Springfield, Lancaster, Cincinnati, Medina, Wilmington, Indianapolis, Louisville, Lexington, Paris, Somerset, Hazzard, and Ashland, are a mix of offerings. Sometimes, little of interest, and sometimes a smorgasbord of Colt and/or S&W goodies. It's rare that I don't bring home something from one of these shows. Grips, boxes, papers, parts, if not guns. You never know what might show up. I've found nuggets at each of them.
There is one small Friday evening only show, appox 25 tables, that is mostly a social gathering to BS, and spend a few hours snacking on food that's bad for you. It always has a lot of low end squirrel and rabbit guns, but I've also found everything from Krieghoffs to 1st generation SAA's, to Kimber target 22's, and rare Colt or S&W's, on occasion. Check them all out, regardless of size, but don't write any of them off because of one fruitless visit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As Ohiobuckeye States:
I live in the Nashville, TN. area and we're gun show Heaven Here. We have one every month at the State Fair Grounds, and One Every Other Month 15 miles East Of Nashville. And one about every 3-4 months 30 miles nort of Nashville. So One A Month, So Then Every Other Month We Have Two And every three or four months we have Three That Month. And some months we can have up to 5 Gun Shows in one month.

The Every Month One (By The Way is this Coming Weekend Jan. 10-11) is The Bill Goodman Show 250-300 Tables. A Good Show Every month. All Sellers with very few "Factory" Type Displays, But still a Good Show if your looking for a Special Colt or S&W ECT. Always Boxes, Grips ECT.

The Bob Pope Gun Show is Advertised As TN. Largest Gun Show! Always 500 Plus Tables And from time to time Several Nice "Factory" Type Collectors Displays. Back in the Fall The Ruger Nat. Collectors Assc. Had A GAINT Display of 8-10 members set up (30-40 tables of very Fine Old Rugers) and a Great Display To See. The Pope show is a Biggie! Great to find anything your looking for! From Guns to anything such as Grips-Boxes ECT.
And it coming up Jan. 17-18! Always a FANTASIC Show!

The other one is a RK Productions Show. They are just now coming back to our area, after Not Doing A Show here for many years. They had a show here in Oct. and it was a Big Hit. It was a little show with 100-150 tables, But it was a VERY Big Hit. They said they will try to do one every 3-4 months, But I have not heard of the next one?

And on almost any weekend I can or could drive 2--2 1/2 hours and find a Gun Show here in TN.. We sometimes go to Memphis-Jackson-Germantown TN. shows, all west of Nashville or we can go east and can Go To Knoxville-Chatanoga. Any Given Weekend There is a Large Gunshow within 200-300 miles of us and all are 250++ tables Gun Shows.

So we are Gun Show Poor.

The Fall and Winter. We wear them ALL out! Spring And Summer, we just go to the Locals.

***Bill Goodman Gun Show Jan. 10-11 "THIS WEEKEND" Hours 9-5 on Sat. And 10-4 on Sun. Adm. $6 Free Parking Tenn. State Fairgrounds Right of I-65 Wedgewood Exit. Nashville, TN.

***Bob Pope Gun Show Jan. 17-18 Hours 9-5 sat. And 9-4 Sun. Adm. $5 Fee Parking Off of I-24 15 miles east of Nashville in Smryna TN.

And another REAL GOOD Point! NO FLea Market Type JUNK at the Nashville Gun Shows! All Guns And Knifes And Related Stuff! Every now and then, some Clown will have 1-2 tables of QVC Knifes, were he watches way to much TV, And Bought "The Deal Of A Life Time"! But thats about it!

BUT, some of the other shows in the Memphis-Jackson-Germantown shows have been over run with "Flea Market" type stuff! I really hate That! I know the show promotors are trying to keep their shows going and have to sell tables, but I don't like paying $5-$6 to see Flea Market stuff! I pay to go to a Gun Show, I want to see Guns and related stuff! I don't want to see Dolls!

The Nashville And The Tenn. Expo Flea Markets, that we have here every month are two of the largest in the Country! And the Adm. is FREE! If I want to look at Dolls, I will go to one of them! And At Both of the Flea Markets I have Found GREAT Gun Finds, No Not Guns, But Rare Gun Books, Very Rare Old Paper Ammo Boxes, Very Old Wooden Shot Shell Boxes, VERY VERY Old Holsters, Old Cap And Ball Stuff! All types of Very Old Gun Related STUFF! CHEAP! And RARE! I buy a lot of stuff there and take it to Local Gun Shows And Trade For The Stuff I buy and Collect. These Guys at the Flea Markets like to Haggle and don't care as much as the Gun Show Guys about a Odd Rare old Gun pieces in their Booth! Great Finds Are To Be Found! Last Month I Bought A Complete Three year Set Of Gun Magazines from the Early 60's. For $8, yes 36 issues from 63-64-65 all Complete and in Great Cond. for $8! They are now getting Rare, Because these guys on eB*y a are buying them up and selling each page of a old Gun ad, for more than I paid total for the 36 issues. Killer ads! Colt 1911's for $64 Brand New! Used S&W's for $22 each, KILLER!

But Again, The Nashville Area Gun Shows Are "FLEA MARKETLESS"! No Flea Market JUNK!

And Throw in, two GREAT Military Shows A Year at a Local Top Notch Hotel just 6 miles south of Nashville, In Brentwood TN. I went to my First one the weekend after Thanksgiving. I had never been to a "Military" Type Show, and found some Great Stuff! Did allot of Trading And Came Home With Two Real Nice Colts. Every One of the Military Dealers had few Newer Modern Guns As well, I bought a New in The Box King Cobra 6" Stainless Custom Shop High Polish for $425 in the original Custom Shop Box! And A Older Blue Colt Commander 9mm for $475 in 98%++ cond. The Military show is Twice A Year (Every Year) the Weekend of Thanksgiving and the Weekend before Easter! Great Bunch Of Guys, Killer Displays And allot of Modern Guns As Well. And in a 5 Star Hotel that is in beautiful suroundings, A Killer Show! I'll Never Miss another One!

And Then We Have The GIANT Civil War Show! Its in Nov. Every Year at the Tenn. State Fairgrounds and WOW! 5-6 Giant Buildings! Of Nothing But Civil War Stuff. It takes two FULL Days To see Half of it! And All types of guns from the 1700"s to the Present! Colt SAA Displays everywhere! Civil War Guns And Stuff, EVERYWHERE! And its on the same weekend as the Goodman Gun Show At The Fair Grounds And WOW! Guns And Stuff Everywhere! And Pretty COOL to see all the Ladies And Gents, dressed in their Civil War Period Stuff walking around Everywhere, even coming over to see the modern Gun Show. REAL COOL!

Again We Are Gun Show Poor!

And Throw In Two of the Country's Largest Flea Markets Each Month.

We're SPOILED!!!!!

[This message has been edited by ColtCollector1911 (edited 01-07-2004).]

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O-o-o-o-o-h! well, Sir, Mr. Coltcollector1911, I thought, maybe, we were getting short shrift out here. Guess so! On the other hand, too, I guess you've got to start somewhere, eh? In fairness to our retailers, I'd bet some cold sauerkraut on a stick that there's more people have tables at any one of your shows than total population of good ole' Kiowa County Kansas! I can't gripe too much, we moved here on purpose. (It seemed like a great idea at the time!) But still, a little class goes a long way. "You can't sell from an empty wagon." Thanks for the nice reply. Your collection sounds fine!

·
Registered
26 Posts
rcrambold:
Oh! It is Beautiful here in Middle Tenn. a 30 min drive from any part of Nashville, will put you in the Most Beautiful Country You've Ever Seen. and we think we're a small city, but we're really still just a large town!

The Lakes And The Country Are Beautiful. Our Gun Laws are still some of the Best In The Country And We Love Hot Cars As Well! Fri-St nights, we have Custom Car Cruz-Ins at local malls and Drive-In's (Such as Sonic and Mom And Pop Rest's) Beautiful Ladies! WOW! What more does a Man Need!

Our Businesses always seem to boom, no matter what the rest of the Counrty is doing.

Would LOVE to have you come and see us. Make a Vaction out of it! We'll hit some Gun Shows and 15-20 Local Gun Shops, We'll Go to the Range and waste some ammo, We have 5 New And Beautiful indoor Ranges Here and twice that many out door ranges.

You'll Need To Bring The Entire Family, Plenty of Shopping for the ladies or they can go to one of the Country's Largest Flea Markets (All Women Love Flea Markets), and the Kids would Love The Kid's Stuff (Go Carts-Water Parks And ECT). And on Thurs-Fri-Sat Nights, Come and We'll Tear Downtown Nashville Up! Great Music-Great Food-Plenty to see and do! Maybe Do a local Car Show held Every fri-sat. night thru out the summer. One at a Local Mall on any Sat. Night will average 300 plus Custom and Vintage Cars.

Love to have Ya'll to Come To Nashville And See Us!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I attended a couple of gun shows here this past fall. The ones I attended are by the same group, Texas Weapons Collectors IIRC, and are every other month. The is another, smaller, show held at an El Amin Temple on the opposite months but I haven;t gone to that one.

Anyway the show I attended in October was a bit distressing in its lack of attendance by both vendors and customers. I got there late Saturday morning and if there were 50 people in attendance I would've been surprised. Just a couple of years ago I attended this same organizers show and on a Sunday afternoon the place was packed. I would've thought Saturday would be busier. Also it seemed like there were only about 80 percent of the vendors that the show two years previous had. I was looking specifically for Colt revolvers and only found one, an Anaconda for $795.I was in and out in 30 minutes

The December show was on Dec 13 and 14. I didn't expect a whole lot since it was just before Christmas, and the show did live down to expectations. Vendor attndance was down to about 70 percent of the two-year-ago show. It was Saturday afternoon and customers were even fewer than the October show. This time a friend was back in town from his duty assignment in the PRI and wanted to look for a handgun. Not a whole lot of selection unless it was black and all uber-tactical looking. Revolvers were mostly Rossi and Taurus with a smattering of overpriced Smiths and Colts (3 Colts total). We did manage to find him a 1006 at a reasonable price which he bought. There was a blue Delta there but he's got big hands and doesn't care all that much for the 1911's grip size. Likes the trigger though and wished his 1006 had a trigger like my RZ's. Hates Glocks so there's hope for him

Anyway he even noticed the paucity of selection and the large amount of crafts and non-gun items. Even made a comment about "craft show with A gun".

I gues I'm going to have to go up to San Antonio, or down to McAllen for the SAXET gun show, or wait for the big Houston show in the future.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ColtCollector1911,
I thank you, Sir, for your kind and generous offer and only regret my wife and I can't take you up on your hospitality right away. We just finished a two-week vacation - our first in about fifteen years, so, doubtless, it will be some time before a long trip is our cards again. I do hope you sell real estate in your area for a living! Your enthusiasm is marvelous!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts