Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good afternoon, its bright and sunny here in new york , whats it like where you are??
well todays research what revolvers did the LAPD issue ??
as always your help is greatly appreciated , thank-you rj

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hello RJ: The weather is beautiful here in Florida. Thanks for asking.

As to your question on the LAPD, frankly my knowledge extends no further than the reruns of "Dragnet" I was once addicted to. In the immortal words of Sgt. Joe Friday, "This is the city, Los Angeles, California. I work here, I carry a badge." He also carried a Colt Detective Special.

What the real cops carried probably varied widely over time. In my collection I have a S&W Military & Police pre-Victory 4", .38 Special that was shipped from the factory to the LAPD in the spring of 1942. HTH.

Charlie Flick

·
Registered
586 Posts
For several decades LAPD was big on using .38 revolvers with six inch barrels and adjustable sights. I have seen photos from the 1940's and 1950's of uniform cops carrying Officer's Model Targets and Officers Model Specials in swivel holsters. That did not preclude some officers from carrying 4 inch guns as mentioned by the above post. Check out the quote taken directly from LAPDs homepage history section:

When James E. Davis became Chief in 1926, he formed a 50-man "gun squad" announcing that "the gun-toting element and the rum smugglers are going to learn that murder and gun-toting are most inimical to their best interest." He added that he would "hold court on gunmen in the Los Angeles streets; I want them brought in dead, not alive and will reprimand any officer who shows the least mercy to a criminal."

Sounds like my kind of boss.

By the '60's the Smith K-38 was gaining popularity (checkout the old episodes of Adam-12) Again 6 inch .38 in a swivel or clamshell holster. In the '70's and '80's they went to Model 15's and 67's (4 inch K-38's). Then on to the 9mm and 45 autos of today.

[This message has been edited by CFPython (edited 04-10-2005).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts