Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,892 Posts
That gun has always been pictured with another one very similar to it but with a barrel slightly longer than 5 1/2". They are in one of Doc O'Meara's book. You got the best of the two, imo. I love everything about it. And the engraving is excellent.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Gorgeous. That engraving is incredible.

rhmc24... did you really engrave yours?? Extremely impressive! That style is just my taste... so much engraving is done that detracts from the beauty of the firearm, but not in your case.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Gorgeous. That engraving is incredible.

rhmc24... did you really engrave yours?? Extremely impressive! That style is just my taste... so much engraving is done that detracts from the beauty of the firearm, but not in your case.
Yes, all the work is mine. The ivory grips I had made in Africa in 1951, copying original grips. My Dad sent me a bunch of Colt & S&W grips & I had about a dozen pairs made for $6/pr.

·
Premium Member
21,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Wyatt Burp: That is very sharp on your part to recall there were two guns. My friend, Bill Dascher, owned both of them as well as a beautiful holster rig and a bullwhip. He asked a friend to take them to a big gun show in Nevada many years ago and sell all of it. The fellow came back and paid Bill what he needed to satisfy him. Bill told me he had never thought much about them. Later on, I saw the 7-1/2" gun for sell at a reasonable price, but it was not advertised as having been Lash's gun. Since I had seen the guns, I recognized it by SN and appearance from Doc O'Meara's book. It came with a completes set of Lash LaRue Movies on tape and many pictures, etc. There was even a handwritten letter from Lash LaRue to Bill Dascher requesting $250 in payment for the movies.
I called Bill and he still had the notarized letter from Lash LaRue from when he bought the guns. He let me have that. The fellow who had the gun did not know anything about another gun that should have stayed with the one he owned. That was the 5-1/2" one pictured in the O'Meara book. Maybe the other gun will show up someday.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Beautiful deep engraving on Lash's gun and in excellent shape.

Genuine Sambar Stag was so inexpensive in those days, I don't know why so many movie and movie star guns have jigged bone grips. Maybe for the consistency of the bark pattern.

Too bad Lash didn't invest his earnings, he died a pauper living out of his old Cadillac ambulance that he drove to small time gigs to support himself in his final years.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was fortunate to acquire this historic SAA a couple years ago. Lash LaRue had many SAA's during his lifetime and this is one of his last that he had engraved for him by Jerry Harper. This gun is pictured in one of Doc Omeara's books on Colt SAA's. I attached a few of these pages for revue.

That is one of if not the nicest engraving styles I've seen, love the French grey, is it plated or polished metal?
Gorgeous piece of art!

·
Premium Member
21,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
5758andrew: The finish is nickel. Jerry Harper is still doing great engraving. I do not know if Harper copied a gun/picture that Lash LaRue had or if he simply made up the pattern. Just like with rhmc24, artists are very creative.
I think jigged bone was very popular with Hollywood cowboys. I have seen such grips on old Westerns. Also, Great Western used the molded plastic version
of this pattern on many of their SAA's.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
5758andrew: The finish is nickel. Jerry Harper is still doing great engraving. I do not know if Harper copied a gun/picture that Lash LaRue had or if he simply made up the pattern. Just like with rhmc24, artists are very creative.
I think jigged bone was very popular with Hollywood cowboys. I have seen such grips on old Westerns. Also, Great Western used the molded plastic version
of this pattern on many of their SAA's.
In some of the early Gunsmoke shows Jim Arness was carrying a GW w/the plastic jig bone grips on it until a couple viewers wrote in & mentioned that there were no plastic grips in the old west & believe it or not the producer listened & shortly the grips were no longer in the series.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Around 1946 Lash LaRue came to my home town of Lynchburg, Va. He put on a show at the ISIS theater on main street. After the show he took pictures with the kids sitting on his knee holding one of his Colt six guns. (I remember the gun was heavy and it took both of my hands to hold it) The cost of the picture was $2.00. The 8X10 picture was to be mailed at a later date. $2.00 was a lot of money for my Mother to pay. Only cost 10c to get into the movie for two shows, weekly serial, 3-4 cartoons.
Well, I was a very disappointed little cowboy... We never received the picture.
Around 1990 Lash was at a autograph signing event in Orlando, FL. I was at a coin show and he was preforming next door. I went over and asked for my picture... We talked for a few minutes and then laughed about it. May he RIP.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.