Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe???

From today's Wall Street Journal, Saturday/Sunday January 11-12, 2020, page A12.

Michael Burney, 1911-2019.

The article states the following: "After gaining experience as a machinist at Colt Firearms Co., he joined three siblings and another partner to form Atlantic Machine Tool Works in 1940."

So, he worked at Colt Firearms 1940 or before, the year the Colt Single Action Army Revolver was discontinued (First Generation).

A few assumptions here, which may or may not be valid:

1. He was assigned to work on the Colt Single Action Army Revolver;

2. No other machinists who worked on the First Generation Colt Single Action Army Revolver.

In any event, a news story I read today not looking for a Colt Firearms connection.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,046 Posts
Colt machinists did a lot of things - the chances that a new man would be assigned to a fading product line in the face of an emerging war are pretty slim, and his leaving the plant in 1940 made him 29, an apprentice with little, if any, production background.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Colt machinists did a lot of things - the chances that a new man would be assigned to a fading product line in the face of an emerging war are pretty slim, and his leaving the plant in 1940 made him 21, an apprentice with little, if any, production background.
In 1940, this individual was 29, not 21. I did further research on line and discovered that Michael Budney worked for Colt Firearms for 10 years, presumably 1930 to 1940, but maybe earlier. This individual began working at age 15, which could have been as early as 1926.

·
Registered
9,046 Posts
Dyslexic fingers are a cruel burden to bear...

In that environment, machinists trained for years before they were given significant work 'on the line' in actually finishing production work, but there were a myriad of machining jobs to do in providing parts and the like - too many years have passed to find out what his actual job might've been.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I am almost positive he did indeed work on Colt SAA's, and that a few of the ones I have were hand fitted by this gentleman. I base this theory on absolutely nothing other than romantic nostalgia. When legend becomes fact, print the legend

1 - 7 of 7 Posts