Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any good suggestions for replacing the little nylon/plastic "glider" on the latch?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
Two.
First is to buy the nylon inserts.
I'm sure Colt can supply them, and probably Gun Parts.
One man told me that Colt had sent him a couple of inserts FREE when he called the factory.

While I haven't personally done this, a fellow 'smith told me that he'd had excellent results using nylon WEED TRIMMER cord.

He said he found a white trimmer cord that was the same size.

He cut off a section, and chucked it in a hand-held pin vise.
He beveled the sharp end JUST BARELY enough to allow starting it in the latch hole, then twisted and pushed it in as far as possible with the pin vise.

He removed the pin vise and used a sharp razor blade to cut the cord off slightly longer than needed.
He then used a punch to gently tap the new insert all the way in, then trimmed to final length with the razor.

According to him, this worked "as good as" factory.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I think I'll start with Colt. I didn't see inserts on any of the Gun Parts schematics, but then I didn't ask either. I will probably pursue that further too, so I don't wear out my welcome at the "company". The DIY sounds like a good back up. Thanks again.

OK, earching for "insert" for Colts on Gun Parts sight yields both sight and latch inserts. It really helps when someone knows what they're called.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts