Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a late 1st gen 38 special 99% with a very light turn line made in 1937 for sale locally . The asking price is $9500, I am wondering if it really worth anything near that? This thing is absolutely beautiful, but I was thinking it's worth 1/2 that at best. Your thoughts?
Bob

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
There is a late 1st gen 38 special 99% with a very light turn line made in 1937 for sale locally . The asking price is $9500, I am wondering if it really worth anything near that? This thing is absolutely beautiful, but I was thinking it's worth 1/2 that at best. Your thoughts?
Bob
I think your estimate of about 1/2 the asking price is "spot on". Maybe $5000.00 at best. A late 1st gen .38 Special would be quite collectible, though. What's the barrel length?
Bob

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think it could be worth that if it left the factory as a .38 special. It's a rare gun. I've seen some listed between $8-12,500. Heck, very few guns were made from this time period at all. I don't think they can be lettered from my understanding.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd be curious if it has the broken "O' in "Hartford" on the barrel, if it has the machine gun steel stamp on the front of the cylinder, and if the last two digits of the serial number are on the back of the cylinder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts