Colt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,790 Posts
Re: Late(?) and \"strange\" O.Police Mk.III

That IS weird.
Basically a heavy barreled .38 Special Mark III "J" frame is a Colt Metropolitan Police.

3698x U was made in 1982.
That year the "U" series numbers started at 31290U, and went to an unknown number.
1983 started at 15398V.

The rounded butt grips were a feature of the late Mark III guns.

Unless it was an over run for some police purchase where they demanded the "Official Police" marking instead of the "Metro Police" marking, I have no idea why they'd do this.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,790 Posts
Re: Late(?) and \"strange\" O.Police Mk.III

There's a misunderstanding here.

I'm NOT talking about the 2" or 4" Colt LAWMAN.
There was also a Colt "Metropolitan Police" model.

This is a fixed sight "J" frame Mark III revolver that looks just like the Lawman 4", but which came only in .38 Special.

It has the Lawman heavy barrel, and is really just a .38 Special-only Lawman, for departments that didn't use the .357 Magnum.

That's why I find the heavy barreled Official Police Mark III to be really weird.

Why would Colt basically mark a Metropolitan Police as an Official Police Mark III??????
The Metropolitan Police was a heavy-barreled revolver, and the hallmark of the Official Police since the early 1900's was the skinny OP barrel.

I would think that someone wanting a heavy barrel, .38 Special Mark III would just buy the Metro Police.

As for the tiny coil spring on the trigger return torsion spring:
This was a trigger return spring "guide".

This is the same spring as a crane lock spring.
That's the spring that fits under the cylinder retention cap screw on the right side of the frame.

This "guide" spring helped prevent the trigger return torsion spring from dragging on the frame wall.
As the trigger return spring sweeps up and down, the guide rolls across the frame, reducing friction.

Strangely, this spring wasn't always used.
I've seen the SAME model of guns both with, and without it, and there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to whether a gun had it or not, other than possibly the year produced.

I've seen the guide on all the later Colt's from the Mark III to the V, to the King Cobra.

I have a 1972 .357 Trooper Mark III with the guide, a 1979 .22 Trooper Mark III without it.

Recently, an old customer asked me to check out his late father's Trooper Mark V, and it was without.

I repaired a relatives 6" King Cobra a few years ago, and it was WITH the guide.

Even more strangely, the Colt exploded views also vary.
Some schematics show the guide on the King Cobra and on the Mark V, but NOT on the Mark III guns.
Recent Colt drawings do not show it on the King Cobra or Anaconda.

It seems as though Colt used the guide whenever they felt like it.

If your gun has it, use it.
If it doesn't, it likely isn't needed.

The Allen set screw in the bottom of the trigger is a trigger stop screw.
This was set and Loctited at the factory to regulate trigger over-travel.

I do NOT recommend changing the adjustment since if you set it too close, it can cause the hammer to drag on the sear, or even fail to release.

This really wasn't intended to be used by the owner to adjust the trigger, it was simply an easy way for the factory to adjust the action without all the hand fitting required on the older action guns.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.