Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This one is sort of hard to explain. A good friend of mine told me about a local auction that had a 38 super that he thought I might be interested in. I logged online to look at the catalog and lo and behold I see this gun that I think is a prop gun. After looking at pictures pretty intensively for while and realizing that this was a small local small online auction( most of the 80 guns for sale went for $200-1700)I decided to take a gamble and pay for an expedited letter just in case they might have one. Chances of finding a letter after 1930 as you know are slim to none. Somehow or another the serial number was on that one page list at the archives. Letters as follows:
38 Spl
7.5” barrel
Nickel
Ivory Stocks with Carved Steer heads
Factory Engraved with “C” coverage
Shipped to Rohers Gun Store, New Castle, PA October 21 1941!!!
Needless to say I RAN to the viewing 10 minutes later. I showed up expecting a line just to see this gun. To my surprise there were 6 people,counting me and the guy who told me, at the viewing. Gun was lying there with not one person looking at it in the middle of 500 S&W magnums and commemorative Ubertis!! To my great surprise the holster rig was a GORGEOUS SD Myres El Paso rig. I didn’t steal the gun in the end but only wound up having one person who “loved” it enough to make the bidding a little interesting. More pics to follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've been chasing 1st gen .38 spl. saa's for years and have two blue/cc 5 1/2 guns, but you sir hit it out of the park.

So I must ask is it for sale?:eek:

A big congratulations to you, enjoy.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
Definitely Glahn engraved. The 2 rings around the end of the barrel and "V" near the base of the grip (pic #17), indicate it's his highest level of work. That's a VERY nice piece and excellent example of Glahn's finest craftsmanship. A BIG dollar gun...

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Wow!!! Just stunning! Not asking what the owner paid for it, what is one like this in this condition worth ? Im curious.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
Wow!!! Just stunning! Not asking what the owner paid for it, what is one like this in this condition worth ? Im curious.
To the right buyer, 2 or 3 brand new Honda Accords...

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
You were incredibly lucky on that letter.
Respectfully I don't think luck played a part. He was educated enough to see the potential, smart enough to invest in an expidited letter (for which he gambled a couple hundred dollars) and willing to pay for the privilege. Amazing SAA and clearly Glahn engraving.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Respectfully I don't think luck played a part. He was educated enough to see the potential, smart enough to invest in an expidited letter (for which he gambled a couple hundred dollars) and willing to pay for the privilege. Amazing SAA and clearly Glahn engraving.
I believe the luck victorio1sw is referring to is Colt had the information on that piece since the late 1st generation records for the most part are lost or stolen.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I believe the luck victorio1sw is referring to is Colt had the information on that piece since the late 1st generation records for the most part are lost or stolen.

Mtidasnubby -- Your are exactly correct about my "lucky" comment. I wasn't aware that even one page existed (at Colt's) out of that stolen shipping ledger (covering 1934-early 1940's SAA's). That ledger "disappeared" in 1977, according to one of Don Wilkerson's Colt books.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Thanks for all the compliments. Right place, right time I guess. I do have to figure out the best way to take care of the holster soon I think.
As for the holster, you are referring to the missing lacing at the top of pouch? It is more of a decorative lacing. I think that would be easy to fix, and you might be able to buy the right width and color of lace from Tandy's.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts