Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up this 4" Colt .38 DS-II with the box and paperwork; it's a 99+% gun:

She's just like a Police Positive but in stainless. My most recent late '90's Colt catalogs reference the PP (4"), SF-IV (4") and the ubiquitous DS and DS-II in 2" but I could not find this gun listed.

I'm not too much into these pocket guns but I figured I go for this one because I had heard of them but never saw one until now. Maybe it'll be worth something... in about 100 years!!!

[This message has been edited by Blokey (edited 12-17-2004).]

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,887 Posts
"Maybe it'll be worth something... in about 100 years!!!"

WRONG.
It's almost certainly worth something NOW, and it'll get better fairly soon.

The Colt SF framed guns were only made for a limited time, and the rarest of them all were these 4" barreled DS-II versions.

I'm not sure just what the production numbers were, but I'm betting it was LOW.

I'd guess the 4" was a limited, one-time only run, so collectors will be actively looking for these already.

Protect the box and papers, since that will add to the value.
Throw NOTHING away. Not any paper, the plastic bag, tags, NOTHING.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Very nice find Blokey. I did not know they came in 4" either. But I did not know that they also came in 3" until I ran across one at a gun show. Yes I bought the 3". I posted a picture of it quite some time back but got no interest of any kind. Perhaps because it is a modern gun or perhaps because no one knew about the odd barrel length.

At any rate I'd sure like to have a 4" like yours to go along with the 3" and 2". Although I doubt I'll run into one for the reasons dfaris pointed out. In fact my 3" and your 4" DS-II's are the only 2 guns I've heard of or seen in other than in 2".

I'm willing to bet your was made in 1997 and has an SV suffix. Should have come with the blue hard case with the white pictured outer cover.

Thanks for the picture and congratulations on a fine score.
Signed,
Green with.......well you know!

·
Registered
794 Posts
I guess all I need is one of yours, or you need 2 of these!! Realistically, I have about as much chance finding a 4" like yours as you do finding a 3" like mine.

But is sure is good to know they are out there.

BTW these darn things are hard to photo!

·
Registered
89 Posts
WS-
I remember your 3incher the first time and I thought it was KEWL then! Still a neat piece. Neat 4incher also, Blokey. I'd have to STRONGLY agree with DFaris about their future values. Best part is you can shoot and enjoy them without having to worry so much about finish wear!
A10ACN

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man you guys are great! Thanks for the wonderful replies and info. WS23 I had forgotten that they had made a few 3 inchers, wow! You're right, the s/n is suffixed with "SV" and I think you're correct about the '97 production date, the DS models are listed in that year's catalogs but only the 2".

This board is awesome!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's pics of my NIB 3", any ideas on what it might be worth? I would probably be willing to sale or trade, but have not a clue on where to start with value. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts