Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of mine sold me this 1902 SAA .45 , Pretty much all original except for grips, which are original Colt, Just not for this gun. I bought the gun not the story but he did buy this one in the 1970's along with about 20 other SAA from Rory Calhoun the actor, Action is good, shoots straight, Barrel has some holster wear. He said out of the bunch there were only a few good ones, Most were beat up movie guns

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Saintclair, Rory told my friend he used the gun in a film, Film Company is the one who wanted the wood grips on it instead of the originals so he swapped them out

·
Premium Member
19,179 Posts
I suspect that the way those movie guns were treated would have resulted in many broken plastic or hard rubber grips. Just think of the number of times you have heard "Drop that gun" in the old cowboy movies.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One good thing after cleaning gun which had sat for 40 years barrel inside turned out nice and shiny with all the rifling. I think this gun spent more time in and out of holster than being shot

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Friend of mine sold me this 1902 SAA .45 , Pretty much all original except for grips, which are original Colt, Just not for this gun. I bought the gun not the story but he did buy this one in the 1970's along with about 20 other SAA from Rory Calhoun the actor, Action is good, shoots straight, Barrel has some holster wear. He said out of the bunch there were only a few good ones, Most were beat up movie guns View attachment 702186 View attachment 702189
That is an honest looking Colt SAA. Is the belt/holster rig maker marked?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
One good thing after cleaning gun which had sat for 40 years barrel inside turned out nice and shiny with all the rifling. I think this gun spent more time in and out of holster than being shot
Yeah, I have often wondered how the bore in those Hollywood guns were after years of shooting black powder blanks. Sounds as if you lucked out on that score.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I have often wondered how the bore in those Hollywood guns were after years of shooting black powder blanks. Sounds as if you lucked out on that score.
My friend back in the 70's sold about 12 of the guns he got from Rory for $70 each, Said that's all they were worth back then. He does have a couple gems from that buy I been trying to get him to sell, He hardly sells anything from his personal collection, but I keep trying

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Knew a guy back around 1990 had a number of his SAAs he would sell. Think he was out of Florida. Had some letters signed by Rory with them. Don’t think any had property marks. Seems Rory must have had a lot of SAAs he used.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Knew a guy back around 1990 had a number of his SAAs he would sell. Think he was out of Florida. Had some letters signed by Rory with them. Don’t think any had property marks. Seems Rory must have had a lot of SAAs he used.
Rory had a large SAA collection aside from the movie guns, My friend said he bought the ones he had when Rory was going through a divorce and needed some cash

1 - 15 of 15 Posts