Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
An acid etched barrel with "el chingon". Which translated to "the bad ass". and 38 Special rolled on the barrel. Classic...yep my first thoughts were "a true classic". Not. Have to wonder what they are thinking while wrecking a pistol they are asking $2000 for plus shipping.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Wow..that's pretty bad and not in a good way......

Reactions: KB3 and LEO918

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Except for the etching it looks pretty good, and you can actually buy one. Of course I'd rather have a .44, or 44/40.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I see the word "Chingon" spray painted all over walls in south Phoenix. Terrible choice of name and will be the kiss of death for this model.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I think a 38 SP is a good idea, some people just like to shoot, and a 38 is a lot cheaper than 45's and 44's. It would be better if it could handle 357's.
I think a 9mm would also be great for plinkers.
A great gun with affordable ammo is a good idea, bottom line, don't like it, don't buy it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Not my cup of tea either, but I am happy to see it because they are doing another caliber, and they are willing to do acid etching, and we know they can do a black powder frame. One step closer to an acid etched Frontier Six Shooter with a spare .44 special cylinder :) At least they are making a revolver available to order, in several configurations. Colt burnt their last bridge with me, and I doubt they will ever get the SAA ball rolling again to the point I would order one. $2000 is a lot of money for an SAA, but when you put the money down, you get a gun. Colt is willing to take your money and sit on it for as long as they want, and you still don't know if you will get what you want.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've been thinking about getting a 38 Special single action to shoot my 38/44 hand loads. With the OP I thought this might just be an option...then I saw the left side of the barrel. Good grief!

So what happened to the black powder frame 44 WCF they were supposed to have soon? This is the alternative??

Dave

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Traditional acid etched panel, 44-40, BP frame would be fun. But not so much at $2000. with out the Colt name on it.

There is an idea...subcontractor.

I am thinking 38 Special is the SASS caliber but Rugers and Uberti clones rule there. Many a pair of the USFA guns came from SASS when the Rodeo prices hit $1000 per gun. Can't see that same crowd paying $2000 per gun no matter how pretty it is.

Th R&D and marketing depts. at Standard should be fired. Sure seems to be a major stumble on their part to me.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
38 Special is a great shooting caliber in an SAA, but it's not particularly traditional or sexy, and not the caliber that will make an SAA aficionado's heart go pitter-pat. It seems to me that it's a pretty easy determination that most potential customers for the Standard SAA are likely looking for classic SAAs; 45 Colt, 44-40, 44 Special, possibly 38-40, and 32-20, with BP frames and etched panels as options. This El Chingon label is something I'd more expect to find on a Cimarron or Taylor badged Uberti or Pietta CAS model, not a high end classic SAA.

I think Standard misread their target market with this one by a wide margin. An etched panel is a great addition to the line, but it should have read Frontier Six-Shooter, or something similar, in 44-40.

Best regards,

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, agreed with most here. Pretty dang cheesy. My best guess is that the marketing gurus at Standard assumed that the target market for their .38 special would be the CAS crowd...and we all know how those folks love them some sissy calibers and corny nicknames.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Maybe it's suppose to be a SAA version in-line with Colt's EL Series .38 Super 1911's.. They just forgot to nickel/chrome them.

·
Registered
291 Posts
They might already realize that the .38 Special El Chingon wasn't the way to go. They have a poll on Facebook asking which caliber you like more, .45 Colt or .38 Special? .45 Colt leads with 75% of the vote :) I voted for .45, but I wrote in the comments I would like to see a black powder frame .44-40/.44 special. My gut tells me that these guys are doing well, and will continue to for the foreseeable future. Especially since Colt can't get it together and probably won't. But, like we all have said, they need to listen to groups like the Colt Forum to give the people what they really want. Brian Pearce's article said they will have a Colt sized black powder frame, and calibers like .44-40, .44 Special, .45 ACP, and others. Its just a matter of time.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts