Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lawman mark 3 with 2" barrel. I think this is a J frame. Is this the same grip size for all the J frame guns? I was wanting to get a different set of grips but I not sure which ones will fit.
Anyone that could help I would appreciate.
Thanks

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts
The Lawman Mark III IS a "J" frame Colt, BUT the Lawman with the 2" barrel used a special grip not used by any other "J" frame gun.

The Lawman 2" used a rounded butt frame and the grips are special.
ONLY a set of grips for the 2" Lawman will fit, and these are sometimes hard to come by.
The original grips are the "service" type that don't wrap around the frame, and closely follow the steel butt profile.

Gun Parts Corporation MAY HAVE the original Lawman 2" "Service" type grips that came on the gun originally:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=261930A&chrSuperSKU=261930&MC=

NOTE: There is also a Lawman Mark V 2" which uses a special grip too, and this is different from the Lawman Mark III.

Occasionally, Lawman grips turn up on Ebay
too.

If you want Non-factory grips, Pachmayr USED to sell a set for the 2" Lawman, but these were large rubber grips, in (I think) a square butt "Target" type model.

Check with Hogue and some of the other grip makers. Someone almost certainly offers a grip for the 2" model.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 01-01-2004).]

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think these Pachmayr "Presentation" Grips are what Dfariswheel is referring to:

On the inside of the panel it says "COLT J-FRAME ROUND BUTT SMALL GRIP"

It's been about 10 years ago when I bought these. Externally, they are the exact same size as the presentation grips for the Python.

This is with the originals:

- Pat

[This message has been edited by proco (edited 01-01-2004).]

[This message has been edited by proco (edited 01-01-2004).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
dfaris
Are they the same size as the "D" frame with the rounded edges on the butt, small grip, they sure look like it in proco's picture? If so, I have a set, with Colt medalions, I would be willing to part with for sweateagles.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 01-03-2004).]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here's a pic that might help dfaris with that question. It shows the I, J and newer D frame grips. I don't have an older D frame for comparison.

- Pat

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Here's a pic of the one I have.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 01-03-2004).]

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts
diamonback68:
The round butt Lawman 2" is NOT the same size as the smaller "D" frame round butt.

The Lawman 2" used a one-of-a-kind grip. Nothing else fit it.

proco's first picture shows the difference in size/shape between the Lawman 2" and "D" frame grips. As you can see, they're quite different.

proco's second picture appears to be a grip for an EARLY full-frame Colt "D".
Compare the "D" grip in the first picture with it's square, short butt recess, and the long, round recess in the second.

(I've just GOT to buy a digital camera. I've got the hots for the new Minolta Dimage Z1, but the wife and dog want food too.)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate everyone's reply I probably would have wasted money locally if it wasn't for everyones info. If I can find the correct one's with the logo I am really interested in purchaseing them.
please email me if you have the right ones
[email protected]
THANKS

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
proco's second picture appears to be a grip for an EARLY full-frame Colt "D".

dfaris That was my point, if you look at proco's second picture, it has the rounded butt and the barrel says "Lawman Mark III" ( which is a "J" frame and not a "D" frame, I realize) and the grip frame looks like the picture of the stocks I posted. I realize the step up distance from the back strap to the frame may be different, and that frame may be unique to nothing else, but it sure looks close, that's all I'm saying.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts