Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently obtained ANIB with barely a turn line a Lawman Mark III with a 2" barrel. I have heard that the 2" barrel version is somewhat rare, is this true and how rare are they? Current value? I am in CA so I am sure I paid above market price for the rest of the world but still curious as how I did

Thanks in advance,

Simon

------------------

·
Registered
535 Posts
GREETINGS, SimonP! The Lawman revolvers are J fame Colts, which were made to replace the Official Police Line and came out, I think, in '69. You usually see them with a 4" barrel and they came blue or nickel. Colt did switch barrels after a point, on the 2"ers. Originally, the Lawman had a bull-sort of stubby tube with no cylinder rod shroud. The later ones had the detective special barrel with a shroud. Both are .357's. Here where the hoot owls love the coyotes, you'll see them tagged for +/- $400. More for the 2" and more for nickel. As a peculiar happenstance, I noticed the San Francisco Model Club, whatever that is, had a 2" Colt Lawman for sale once upon a time. I saw one on e-bay. This was a miniature gun - about 2" long? Would look great in your display case, though, eh? Their model was the original, plain barrel. For what it's worth, the J Colt Troopers are adjustable sight .357's, the Lawman and Metropolitan were bare-bones cop guns with fixed sights, in .357 and .38, respectively. The J's aren't very well noted for smooth but they are accurate. I have seen a few examples with wondeful triggers, too, but these seem to be the exceptions more than the rules. Any J Colt ought to be a very sturdy, accurate, dependable piece that'll never go out of time. That's what they were made for.

·
Registered
794 Posts
simonp,

You didn't happen to buy the blued Lawman III 2" at Imbert & Smithers did you? The one I saw there a few weeks back had a $325 price tag on it. I thought that price to be quite attractive. In fact, I tried to talk my S&W buddy into buying it.

Why didn't I buy it myself you ask? Well, I already have a blue 2" Lawman III. Also have the 4" blue. So the nickeled finishes are on my list.

I agree with rcwambold on the pricing. $350 to $400 for the 4" & a bit more for the 2". And a bit more for the nickeled. He also sums up the J-frame status in life pretty well. The Lawman has not been "discovered" by the Colt Fancier, so they are still available at S&W prices.

What did you end up giving for it anyway?

BTW, the 2" are not what you could call rare, or even somewhat rare. It's just that you don't see too many offerd up for sale.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I didn't buy that one, it is still there as far as I know. I think the one at Imbert is a little highly priced for condition and having those ugly non-colt grips & when I handled it awhile back I noticed the grip screw was too long and dug into my palm on the other side.

I picked mine up from Frank (Tabor's) as part of an estate. Guy had 50-60 guns, was mainly a collector - doubt any of the guns saw more than a box of ammo through them. The Lawman is as NIB only the faintest of turn lines, with box, paperwork etc. I paid $425 for it which is probably a touch more than I should have but finding any Colt ANIB in CA is getting pretty hard these days. Also picked up a 3rd generation DS from the same estate that day in the same condition only minus the box unfortunately

Simon

------------------

1 - 4 of 4 Posts