Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this Lawman Mark III .357 at a local pawn shop this past week, the revolver had come out of dead pawn. The serial number is 486XXL. It appears to me to be finished in the Colt Guard satin nickel.

I was if I was correct on the finish, if the grips looked factory for the revolver and the approximate year of manufacturer.

Thanks for any input. I paid $500 if anyone is curious & I see no wear at all to the finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another member sent me some photos of his Lawman in Coltguard & his is much of a duller finish than mine, so it might be regular nickel. I don't think it is refinished but I don't really know. Here are a couple photos of the markings.

Attachments

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,891 Posts
486XXL was made in 1979.

It can be difficult to tell from a photo, but bright nickel is...bright. It's like a polished mirror, and looks like a chrome car bumper.

Satin Electroless Nickel was called "Coltguard". It's a satin finish which is not anywhere near mirror like, and has a frosty look.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Like dfaris says, your Lawman is 1979. I don't think there was Coltguard in '79. I think Coltguard was introduced in around '81. Usually the MKIII's in Coltguard came with Colt/Pachmayr rubber grips. Your MKIII looks shiner than the Coltguard I've always seen. In the early 80's Colt offered "Royal Coltguard" on the Python which was a brighter, smoother finish (like you have). The steel on the Royal Coltguard was more polished giving it that sheen. Coltguard ad and a MKV in Coltguard owned by member Matt.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is my understanding that Colt never made the Mark III in stainless. It has a letter "N" on the trigger guard, not sure if that means anything. I did own a 2 1/2 Python made in 1979 that also had the same dull finish.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
It is my understanding that Colt never made the Mark III in stainless. It has a letter "N" on the trigger guard, not sure if that means anything. I did own a 2 1/2 Python made in 1979 that also had the same dull finish.
Can you take a pic of the N and it's location? Sometimes the N is mistaken for a Z.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Interesting. Here are pics of 2 MKIII's in Coltguard. Definitely duller, however, the next pic is a MKIII from Matt and is shiner and has a look more like yours. The last pic is a MKIII from 1981 that is shiner. I would guess some Coltguard finishes were shiner than others and that depended on the polisher and how well it was polished just like blued guns. Some Colts have a deeper brighter blue than others and that was because some were polished better than others. The thing is, I don't think Coltguard was around in 1979. Nice gun none-the-less.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the help I appreciate it. The revolver looks great, whatever the finish.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts