1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently acquired a Colt Lawman Mk3 with a shrouded 2" barrel
The finish is excellent with only a slight wear line around the cylinder
3 downsides are:
1) SSN scratched underneath the top crossbar (?)
2) SSN scratched into the front of the cylinder
3) Wooden grips seem to be bubba-ed from another model to somewhat fit the revolver.

Upside
Paid $225 for it.

Bought as a shooter and not a collector.

1) I would like to find an original set of wooden grips for it as well
2) If the original grips don't really do well for me, I would like to find a good shooting grip for it. Wood or Rubber
3) Need advice as to best method of cleaning up the cylinder and top strap and hopefully make it as invisible as possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
lawman

Send back to Colt for a refinish. Will run around $225-275 Set of Badger grips. Still will be less than what a lnib will cost today.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would use it as the shooter you bought it for. You won't wear it out and 20 years from now you can send it to Colt for the refinish (or not).

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
You bought it as a shooter, because it appealed to you. You can choose to keep it as is, or get it refinished to satisfy your own taste.

Original grips can be found on eBay or Gunbroker. OR, to dress it up a tad you could get many different sorts of custom stocks.

You got it at a great price, and you only have yourself to satisfy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<snip>
1) I would like to find an original set of wooden grips for it as well
2) If the original grips don't really do well for me, I would like to find a good shooting grip for it. Wood or Rubber
3) Need advice as to best method of cleaning up the cylinder and top strap and hopefully make it as invisible as possible.

I think that my point about cleaning up the revolver was missed
With re-finishing, one response was to send it to Colt for a re-finish.
The other is to do nothing
Is there anything in the middle that I may be able to do ?

As to grips, I would like to have wooden grips, so they don't stick to clothing if carried concealed.
I have a couple of Pachmayrs which I find great to shoot with, but they don't work well for concealment.
Plus, the butt on this revolver is different from all the other J-frames, which reduces my options

·
Registered
80 Posts
You could try sanding the areas and re-bluing/or durocoat type kits.If under the crossbar is unseen why worry about it or do it yourself as stated and just send the cylinder out to be refinished if you think it will match up with finish of gun,think Colt will charge around $60 for cylinder only.
As far as the original grips they are unique to the gun and do pop up now and then,start searching.Aftermarket grips are rare also other than Badger,he has this frame and can round off the bottom to match the gun and start at $69 without medallions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts