Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to Colt's and am on a quest for a good Colt CCW. I'm familiar with the Detective Special's size, weight, etc ... felt good in my small hands. The one I looked at was a later (3rd issue?) shrouded model with rubber grips.

I've seen, but never handled, a Lawman MKIII and was wondering how much bigger of a revolver are these compared to the Detective Specials? Here's a link to one I saw and was curious about.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976429122.htm

Are they suitable for a CCW? Also, what is the action like compared to the Detective Special ... were they known to have any problems/issues?

Thanks.

·
Registered
535 Posts
They're much different, SIG. The original DS comes from the 1920's or even earlier, depending how far you want to extend the family tree. The Lawman has the Mark III action which was supposed to be - and may well be - the strongest 2X revolver action ever, Brand X or Colt. It's quite a bit heavier - like, almost again as much weight and made for 357's. When they came out, a neighboring PD to me used them and I got to try one and passed. I was using an Official Police and then a Python and couldn't see the improvements - then. Now, with hindsight, I think they WERE stronger than the I/E frame action and for all purposes, just as accurate. The trigger pull is NOT the same, though ... much heavier and longer for my taste - but controllable with practice. I wish I'd've bought one back then! The one in the picture you're asking about is much newer than the ones I was famliar with, though and I won't get any change back from my two cents! These days, more than ever, if it's a Colt, and you've got the price without denting the rent money, go for it! There are two models of the shorty, to make note of, too ... the early ones had an un-shrouded barrel and very comfortable, smallish wooden service stocks. The newer ones have a new model DS barrel. I always prefered the older front sights on the DS and Lawman because they were fatter and taller and easier to use. And, the years of Colt advertising how they kept the ejector rod exposed so if it got bent, you could still close the cylinder and fire SOME of your six. With a shroud - ala Brand X #19, 28, 27, etc., you'd be stuck. Sorry for all the wind ... but the shorty Lawman is, "one that got away," from me.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
Pretty much what rcwambold said,

There are two Lawman revolvers, the Mark III, and the Mark V.

While they look pretty much alike, the Mark V uses the slightly improved internal action of the King Cobra.

The Lawman is a significantly bigger, heavier revolver, with a MUCH larger diameter cylinder than the Detective Special.
The Lawman has basically the same size frame and cylinder as the Colt Python or the S&W 686.

With that said, the Lawman does make an excellent CCW in the right holster.
It's also significantly more powerful than the .38 Special Detective Special when loaded with Magnum ammo.

The trigger action is quite different, but once you get used to it, most people like it.

On the down side, aftermarket grips and holsters are about nonexistent. The Lawman Mark III has a grip shape used ONLY on it and no other gun.

As I recall, the Lawman Mark V uses the same grips as the Trooper Mark V and the King Cobra, so other grips will likely be available, but not common.

The only problem/issue with the Lawman is, you must use snap caps if you want to dry fire it.
There is a possibility that dry firing "could" cause the firing pin to break, and replacement is a factory ONLY job.

Other than that, the Lawman is a tank.

So, bottom line is, the Lawman is on the upper end size-wise of CCW revolvers.
If you can see carrying a snubby Python, you'll have no trouble with a Lawman.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 06-10-2005).]

·
Registered
794 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfariswheel:

As I recall, the Lawman Mark V uses the same grips as the Trooper Mark V and the King Cobra, so other grips will likely be available, but not common.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mostly right dfaris. Your statement is true for the 4" versions.

The Lawman MKV 2" snub takes its own special stocks, which are different than any of the other Lawmans, including the 2" Lawman MKIII. The grip frame on the 2" Lawman MKV is much smaller than the 4" version.

The stocks are not interchangable between 2" Lawman MKV and 2" Lawman MKIII due to different grip frame sizes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, looks like for .357 a Magnum Carry would be more in line with a Detective Special (as far as size goes) as opposed to a Lawman. Will do some research on these as well.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's exactly correct ... the Magnum Carry IS a new/improved DS - if you will, while the Lawman is a Colt Mark frame and much heavier. If you haven't ever carried a gun all day, it may surprise you how heavy they can get. Especially in the summer. Holsters are really important.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Interesting WS23- My 4" MK V and my 2" MK V Lawman both use the same grips. The splinter grips that came on the Lawman were almost unusable with 357 ammo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts