Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to assume that you are referring to a Lawman MKIII and a Trooper MKIII in 357 mag.

Based on that your decision should be rather simple if you want it to be. These are known as J-frame guns and are really quite sturdy. They have not gained the popularity or respect given to other Colts.

They are basically the same gun (frame size, lockwork, caliber etc) with the main exception being the sighting system. Please note there are other differences such as the Lawman MKIII in 4" has an exposed ejector rod whereas the Trooper MKIII has a shrouded ejector rod. But most of the parts are interchangeable including the grips.

The grips came in either Target or Service styles and are readily available (I must have at least 3 or 4 extra sets myself) and are considerably less costly that Python grips.

The Lawman MKIII is a fixed sight gun. The Trooper MKIII has adjustable Accro sights. So if you want an adjustable sight gun the decision is easy.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I've been looking at a Lawman Mk.III,but with the 2 1/2" shrouded ejector barrel. It is one ugly,but "businesslike" looking piece! Can't really get exciting about the J frames though(and J frame Smith's too!),but this Colt is mint,but no box. Any idea as to a fair price for it. Its blued,with standard grips. Thanks,Bud

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Bud, I believe you may be thinking 2" as opposed to 2 1/2". Truth is there are no 2 1/2" Lawman's.

I happen to love the look of the 2" shrouded Lawman. It is SO VERY business like! Kind of like a little guy on steroids. I just happen to like all the J-frames.

If you don't like that look, you may not be aware that some early 2" Lawman's came with unshrouded ejector rods. So it kind of looks like a pumped up older model Detective Special.

Regarding a fair price, I'd buy what you described for $350 and feel pretty darn good about it. I wouldn't even hesitate at that price. If it was nickel I'd pay into the $400's, again without even batting an eye.

The gun you describe really is a cool gun. You just have to spend some time with it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to mention in case you are on the fence. The 4" Lawman is seen much more often. On the other hand the 2" much less common. Think about it, how many have you seen?

And it's a concealable 357!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Thanks WS23. I have a 2" Official Police,and for some reason that barrel just looked a tad longer than that;maybe its the shroud! I bought ONE J frame Colt about a decade ago, a 4" Trooper Mk.III in .22lr. It seemed like a perfect "low to operate training piece" for my many N Frame Smiths and N. Services,with a 42 oz. weight. 98% gun,and it felt great in my hands-But-finish was poorly done at factory,the spring that held the latch was ^^^^^shaped,weak and the whole gun lacked quality. Accuracy was poor compared to my other Colt(& S&W pre war Outdoorsman).22s. I tried many ammo brands etc. Finally sold it to a collector. So,I am leery of J Frames. My own philosphy of this frame size,as far as being concealable,is that large frame snubs are a contradiction; their width precludes making them concealable,and with proper leather, a 4 incher,such as an M-520 S&W or a 4" Colt "357", can be just as "invisible". Yet,there is console compartment in one of our vehicles that is a perfect home for the snub Lawman! Bud

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a pick between a lawman or a trooper at my friends gun store both are in great shape 4in barrels blue about 90% for $299. He likes the lawman but it has aftermart grips Im thinking the trooper is the better buy ?.....I know very little about these guns any input would be appreciated !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts