Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy my very first Colt and since the Python is out of my price range I have focused more on the Trooper or the Lawman in .357.

Could you tell me the main differences between the two and maybe some pro's/con's of each.

Thanks!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Are you considering a Trooper or Trooper Mk III? They are different internally.

The Trooper Mk III and Lawman Mk III are very similar. The Trooper Mk III will have adjustable sights where the Lawman will have fixed sights. There may be other small differnces that I am sure someone will point out shortly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you considering a Trooper or Trooper Mk III? They are different internally.

The Trooper Mk III and Lawman Mk III are very similar. The Trooper Mk III will have adjustable sights where the Lawman will have fixed sights. There may be other small differnces that I am sure someone will point out shortly.
Thanks for the info.
Yes it would be between the Trooper Mk III and Lawman Mk III. It just seems like there is a pretty large price gap between the two so I'm wondering what all the Trooper comes with over the Lawman.

Other than adjustable sight does anyone have anything else?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Same frame, same action. The Trooper had the adjustable sight, ribbed barrel and shrouded ejector and was available in 4, 6 and 8" barrel lengths. The Lawman had a bull barrel and was available in 2 and 4" barrel lengths. The 4" and early 2" had unshrouded ejector rods. The later 2" had it shrouded. IMO the major difference was the adjustable sight which everyone knows makes you shoot better. :cool:

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Both are brute strong revolvers and neither should be dry fired due to the firing pin design that requires special tools for replacement.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Yes it would be between the Trooper Mk III and Lawman Mk III. It just seems like there is a pretty large price gap between the two so I'm wondering what all the Trooper comes with over the Lawman.

Other than adjustable sight does anyone have anything else?
It's your choice but it's also your loss if you don't consider the pre-MKIII Trooper. The pre-MKIII was basically a Python without the fancy barrel and shiny finish. The pre-MKIII will have a lighter single action trigger pull, stacking double action trigger, and bank vault lock up.

Differences between the Trooper mk III and Lawman MKIII: sights, barrel and trigger. Trooper had the wide smooth face target trigger, solid rib under lug barrel, and accro rear target sights. Lawman had the serrated standard width trigger, bull barrel and fixed sights.

·
Registered
521 Posts
It's your choice but it's also your loss if you don't consider the pre-MKIII Trooper. The pre-MKIII was basically a Python without the fancy barrel and shiny finish. The pre-MKIII will have a lighter single action trigger pull, stacking double action trigger, and bank vault lock up.

Differences between the Trooper mk III and Lawman MKIII: sights, barrel and trigger. Trooper had the wide smooth face target trigger, solid rib under lug barrel, and accro rear target sights. Lawman had the serrated standard width trigger, bull barrel and fixed sights.
I own both a Mk III snubbie (great revolver) and a pre-MK III .38 Trooper. Great revolver. Gunpoor is right. The Trooper is under-appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts