Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received this LE6944 conversion kit with fixed front sight base in the mail a week or so ago. It popped up for sale on Gun Broker and was on Armslist before that. I have not seen one of these for sale before.
It was originally sold as an LE6944CK with 14.5" barrel and standard A2 flash hider. The owner had an extended A2 flash hider pinned/welded on it to make it legal, non-SBR, length. I may return it to the original factory length. The extended A2 doesn't look bad at all though so I may leave it alone.
Based on some conversations that I have had, these uppers were Department of Energy specification and were the first production group of the 6940-series monolithic upper receivers that Colt manufactured. This information supports the hand written letters on the box. Barrel date is April 2009 and it is government profile under the handguard.

Note that the upper receiver does not have the reinforcing plate/screw on the upper that was commonly seen in later production upper receivers as a result of wear that was experience in LE6940P use.

LE6944ck 3.jpg

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
that is one sweet setup , I would leave as is & knowing it can be transformed back at any time.
you can use it now as is , if you turn it back to original you will need a SBR Fed. stamp to use .

I would like a SBR in 9mm , got my eye on one now but don't know if it's going to stay in the affordable price.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would not change a thing. Check out Small arms solutions SmallArmsSolutions on YouTube.
He had a lot to do with the development of this carbine and says that it is the pinnacle of the M4/M16 from Colt.
I like Chris's Colt related video's. I will probably leave the upper receiver as is. I would hate to have something happen during the process to change the barrel back that would damage it. I'm not going to rush to a decision.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Definitely good video , worth the watch , thanks. I wanted a6940 for a while . I like the free float and 4 plane rail, but more importantly than rail , I loved the folding front sight.
I lucked into one in the fall , and happy AF. Unfortunately, mine didn’t come with Ma Tech , but definitely not a deal break wearing Magpul.
I was unaware I could’ve purchased 14.5 till after, but if all the shorter barreled series have the fixed FSP- I am happy with my choice of firepower in prep of ominous circumstances.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts