Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching Hickok45 shoot this gun, I had to have one. I let him have a lot of influence on my gun purchases and he seemed very impressed with the LE901. However, the boss has directed me too get ride of two weapons before I can purchase, hold, fondle, and shoot this weapon. I'm curious if anyone with this gun can provide any firing data from 100 - 500 yards/meters and any impressions you have. P.S. Bud's is having a great layaway sale going on and this is one of the choices. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I took my new one to the range for the first time today. It was only a 25 yard indoor range, but I really wanted to make sure it functioned OK and couldn't go to the outdoor rifle range.

I shot it with the 7.62x51 upper it came with and an old 5.56x45 upper. Didn't have a single failure of any kind with either one (even the CBC/Magtech ammo worked flawlessly). The 5.56mm upper I thought would be a challenge to get running because it has a shorter barrel and in the old gun it was using a H3 extra heavy buffer. But all I had to do was slap the magwell adapter on it, put the old buffer and spring into the 901 lower and it just ran without any problems.

Next weekend I'll probably bring it out to 100 yards. I only have an EOTech on it, so doubt I'd be able to hit anything farther than that. Might take the NightForce off the AR-10 and put it on the Colt and try some 175gr SMKs but re-zeroing is always a pain in the buttocks.

It's a very ingenious design. Sort of a hybrid between an AR-15 and AR-10. The bolt carrier looks like the front half of an AR-10 BC glued to the back half of an AR-15 carrier. I'm sort of tempted to buy a 9mm upper for it too as an experiment. The 9mm magblock would have to fit inside the 5.56x45 magblock which fits inside the 7.62x51 magazine well. If it works without a hitch I'd be even more impressed with this product.

So far I'm happy with my purchase. I was kind of wary after reading some of the horror stories about some guns not functioning properly and Colt taking forever to repair them, but seems everything worked out good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So I've had mine now for a few months. All thought it have not shot it basically at all. The front sight base on mine was slightly off. Nothing the average shooter or person would ever see, I'm just OCD, it also. Was dead accurate to with the sights. But I sent my upper in and they readjusted the sight post up front to my liking, took 2 months. Seriously though it was nothing a normal person would notice....but I'm not exactly normal ;)So when I got it back I did a normal break in procedure for new rifles. Iron sights at 100yards. 5inch groups. Pretty normal shooting for me. After the break in I put a few more mags worth of ammo thru it. Some South African surplus, Tula, and other assorted mixes of random rounds I had kicking around. Not a single issue with any ammo. I have some CBC ammo I will be testing in it next range trip.Integro I actually have been thinking the same thing about the 9mm upper. Whoever gets to it first has to post and let everyone know how it worked. Overall I'm very happy with the rifle. Good balance. Manageable recoil. Versitile system. I don't think you would be disappointed. I'm going to run my thru a course soon once I get some time and do an aar.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Been real happy with mine and have had it awhile now with zero problems. Mounted a Nikon M-308 on it and with the better ($$) 168 gr. ammo I'm very happy with it at 5-600 yards. It handles the cheaper ammo just fine too. I swapped it back and forth a couple times with my 6940 monolithic and had zero issues. I'd do it all over again. :)

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I would like to try one. Down here they are hard to find. The gunstores tell me besides local, county, and state LEAs you also have Border Patrol and Homeland Security plus there are a couple large military bases. A lot of times it is not the agency but the LEO wants to buy one for him/herself. I gave up for now and bought a Ruger SR762, which is very nice, and they are not easy to find either, but at least there are some around.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Watched the Hickock45 video. Makes you want to buy one. I will keep looking as they are interesting, they are Colt, and a friend swears by his and says it is great to 600 yards with a good scope. This is a heavy rifle at 10lbs by the way. The Ruger is in the 6 lb range. Still you are looking at something that makes small groups out at 600+ yards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts