Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always liked these rifles, and I finally found one that I wanted, but now I have questions. The rifle I bought is a new LE6901 FDE that came with a matching FDE 6945 5.56 upper and conversion kit. Serial number on the lower is custom.

Does anyone know if there was a run of custom serial LE901's made, or if this would just be a one-off? Does anyone make aftermarket barrels or barrel extensions, barrel nut tools, etc? What about triggers, anything special about them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
I don't know about custom serial numbers but much of the 901 seems to be proprietary to Colt...they use a different bolt carrier group and charging handle that don't interchange with other makes. The same may go for other parts but I can't say with certainty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can use AR-15 triggers in the 901, including Geissele's (I have the SSAE in mine), you just need the extended pins which are available from Geissele. While the charging handle is proprietary you can modify it with an AR-15 extended latch. MilSpec stocks will fit, but pistol grip options are limited. I have the MagPul MIAD on mine but only the small backstrap fits.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know about custom serial numbers but much of the 901 seems to be proprietary to Colt...they use a different bolt carrier group and charging handle that don't interchange with other makes. The same may go for other parts but I can't say with certainty.
I have one of those, bought it in 2013??

The gas tube is proprietary as well. It's about 1/4 in. longer than a standard mid-length. I found out the hard way by trying to stick a 901 FSB that came with a gas tube onto a 6.8 build. Swapped tubes, works fine now.

As for barrels and nut tools...... that's a monolithic upper and probably not within a DIYer's skills to swap out a barrel. I inquired about this some time ago and the only place I know of that has the tools is Specialized Armament. There's an article floating around on the interwebs where they talk about swapping out the barrel on a monolithic LE6940. I have one of those too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts