Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an LE901 and I am considering a suppressor for it. I know that the Vortex flash hider is made by Smith Enterprises and they also make a "Wind Talker" suppressor that mounts onto the flash hider. And Surefire has a replacement flash hider (actually two) and their SOCOM 2 Series suppressor. My question is what do you recommend of the two, or do you have any other recommendations?
Colt 901 Sling.jpg

·
Registered
378 Posts
I use a 30 cal quick detach Silencerco SpecWar on all my AR's both 300 BO and 5.56. Its quieter than any dedicated 5.56 can Ive ever heard and has the versatility of being able to go on any 30 Cal gun I have . They have adapters which will act as brakes and as standard flash suppressors with 1/2X28 and 5/8X24 threading. I have several of both as I also use the same silencer on my Mossberg .308 bolt gun and my Ruger 300 BO bolt gun. I have a quieter silencer in .308 as my thread on SIG 762Ti but like Ive said Ive never heard a quieter dedicated 5.56 can than my Specwar. Its a great all purpose silencer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an LE901 and I am considering a suppressor for it. I know that the Vortex flash hider is made by Smith Enterprises and they also make a "Wind Talker" suppressor that mounts onto the flash hider. And Surefire has a replacement flash hider (actually two) and their SOCOM 2 Series suppressor. My question is what do you recommend of the two, or do you have any other recommendations?
View attachment 172809
i use an AAC SDN6 with a 51T flash suppressor. works well

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input on suppressors, I will definitely check out the Silencerco and AAC. I am still looking for more information on the Smith Enterprises Wind Talker. And the other question I have is on the flash hiders used to mount the suppressors - can I still mount a bayonet? (I am an old school infantry guy) I know that I can with the SEI Vortex flash hider. Anyone with another brand try this?

·
Registered
378 Posts
A bayonet? Thats a question that doesnt pop up much. One issue that may came up depending on your barrel profile is that the 16 inch carbine barrels put the flashhider out farther than the typical 20" M16 configuration that the bayonet is designed for . The LE901 looks like it MIGHT be based on a mid length fore end though so this might not be accurate.

It works on my 14.5" SBR because thats why the 14.5" length was set so that the same exposed barrel length was available to allow the bayonet to fit. With the 16" barrel you need to have a special bayonet adapter or an extended bayonet handle to make it work ( which they do make but they look a little goofy ) .

You arent going to get a bayonet over a silencerco adapter, I can tell you that.

Triple R Products Llc - Firearms, Rifles, Shooting Supplies

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the dimensions of all of the major vendors flash suppressors to see if any would take a bayonet. Only the Smith Enterprise Vortex that comes on the LE901 will work. So I ordered the Smith Enterprise WindTalker suppressor (it is still in jail). The WindTalker will also work on AR15s with the Vortex flash suppressor so which is an added bonus.

901 w Bayonet W.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I had a chance to look over and fire the WindTalker while it sits at my LGS. It fits well on the Vortex Flash suppressor, I can't speak for POI shift as the longest bay at the range was only 25 yards. I will be able to make a full report on the WindTalker in a few months...

Windtalker W.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And I also will test the 7.62mm WindTalker on a 5.56mm AR15 with a Smith Enterprise Vortex flash suppressor.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great rifle! I love mine and shoot Sika deer out to 300 yards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts