Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I prefer Berry's plated bullets, but they are not to be had. A buddy casts various handgun bullets, and I have some .355" LTC of his manufacture. Unhappily, the molds have been used hard and the aluminum Lee blocks get worn; these bullets are showing some signs of misalignment in the grease grooves.
In any case, shooting these rounds thru' the Colt carbine results in frequent keyholes. I'm not sure if the issue is the diameter or the possible misalignment causing bullet imbalance.
He cast me some RNL rounds (probably from a Lyman mold) sized at .356", and a preliminary test at 50 yards showed nice, round holes in the target.
When you try to solve a problem by changing two things simultaneously, you're not sure what fixed it.
So how about some opinions; any suggestions on loading lead for the 6450? Any suggestions on bullet diameter for lead?

As an aside, I put some of the .355" LTC loads thru' a recently acquired Steyr, and they keyholed in that as well.

Moon

·
Registered
260 Posts
Moon,

When I don't have jacketed bullets, I launch .356 115gr lead out of my 6450 with good result. I keep the velocity around 1000 fps. I have casting equipment but don't have the patience to cast 9mm. I buy hard lead bullets from Rogers Better Bullets.

Mark

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Seebee, been driving them faster than that in as a rule, but not too much. Looking back thru' my old data (and that is part of the problem; I've varied the 9mm load so much over the years that I need to get the info sorted out), it appears that some of the lighter loadings performed better. Three-point-eight of Bullseye is my current standard, but I had gone lower in the past.
In the 10.5" AR barrel (its an SBR), velocity is likely even greater. I need to get out the chronograph.
I've also experimented with bullet diameters as large as .357", and that didn't work either. Before the current component crunch, it didn't matter over-much. The Berry's were reasonably priced (scarcely more than I was paying my buddy for hardcast) and worked great. Be nice if the world returns to normal someday soon.
Thanks,
Moon

ETA-My local source for cast bullets is the rangemaster at our Club. He recovers the lead from the impact tank at the range and recasts it into new bullets. Some of the lead likely has several hundred miles on it, 50' at a time.
M

1 - 3 of 3 Posts