Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been using up some leftover powder and encountered some interesting leading. The bullets I'm using have a hardness of 12 brinnell, and my loads are around 800 fps in a 45 ACP. In a Colt barrel I'm getting leading in the first half inch in front of the chamber. In a Kart barrel, the leading extends all of the way down the barrel. I'm surprised that the lead residue patterns are that different. Have any of you experienced this before.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Here's some things to check, bullet diameter and lube. Bullet diameter too small may cause leading wrong lube or not enough can also cause leading, the old "crayola'' hard rifle lubes on a pistol bullet won't be very effective. Was the barrel clean before shooting the lead bullets? First time you used these bullets? Has the barrel been slugged? If so what's the diameter and the diameter of the bullets? Have you shot these loads in another gun or barrel?

Normally best results are with a .452" bullet in a .451"barrel. Some of the best lube for me has been Lyman , ''Orange Magic". It works well for both handgun and rifle bullets, and I've had no leading using it with either.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
Good read ^^
Vic

Reactions: MarkInTx
1 - 5 of 5 Posts