Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw two Colt Vipers for sale by Collectors, Houston, TX. One chrome and one blue. I did'nt know they made such an animal (only one year 1977). I learn something new every day.........Henri

·
Registered
794 Posts
Henri, did you really mean to say chrome?

The Viper was available from the factory in blue and nickel. Nickel may appear to some folks as chrome. But I don't believe the Viper was ever offered in chrome.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Also Henri,
If the Vipers are MINTY and priced at current Blue book prices BUY THEM NOW !!!!
Run don't walk... Hurry... Buy them

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
48 Posts
wasn't the viper essentially an aluminum alloy version of the police positive?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Going to throw in a monkey wrench...

I don't think the Vipers are any big deal.

Made one year, and aluminum is still like tin foil to me. There must be a reason why production stopped.

If you're an avid collector, then there is obviously a point, but I'd bet it's not a very good gun.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Manderson, I'm with you on the Viper. But to someone that collects Colts they have to have it. I looked at a few and wasn't impressed at all.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Although I am "not into newer Colts",I kick my A-S everytime I see a Viper. Could've bought one about 15 years ago,blued,NIP for $250(+ or - $25,I recall). But those "ersatz" Herrett stocks turned me off,and I felt I had "too many .38 Specials,so for the same money,I bought a mint M-57 S&W 4"(no box etc.). While the M-57 has climbed in value,its not as high as the Viper.

Majic;as far as Collectors,and pricing,I agree,they are high,but their website is expensive also,so the customer pays for the overhead,plus the Houston area is quite "affluent"!! I love their website,to show some of my interested Middle School history students,some of the older weapons that they offer. Right now there is a Hall Carbine,that was invented by a gent that lived in the town in Maine where my school is located. Perfect timing,as we are on the time period of the Seminole War. Bud

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Hey lonewolf, speaking of the Seminole War, you know we have never signed a peace treaty with the United States as yet.

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW !! I'm certainly glad I brought that "Viper" question up. That was a good information area!!!! Henri

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Here' s a silly question for you all:
What does a viper look like?

Can someone please be so kind to post a picture of it?

Many thanks

·
Registered
907 Posts
Here's a swing and a miss - about 1980 a gentleman had both a Viper and 1977 PPS for sale side by side, both NIB, same price (maybe $250)...guess which one this genius (me) bought?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Nice!

Thanks Manderson.

·
Registered
25 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gunsmoke:
Here' s a silly question for you all:
What does a viper look like?

Can someone please be so kind to post a picture of it?

Many thanks

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

here is mine

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>but I'd bet it's not a very good gun.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The Agents and the Cobras have been very good revolvers and the Viper is nothing but a longer barreled version of them.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Majic:
but I'd bet it's not a very good gun.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like my good 'ole grandma used to say: "Never judge the cuisine until it is served."

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Amidst all of the "Bally-Hoo" the "Vipers are still there. One in nickel plate even comes with a Colt letter. A lot of talk but no action. Like I said before, "I learn something new every day"!!! Henri

1 - 19 of 19 Posts