Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to learn how to take apart a single action today, so I will know a little more about the insides of Colt SA's and exactly how they work. going only by a rough outline of an internet instructions, I decided to take apart an antiqued Uberti .. an old west. figure if a drastic mistake is made, it wont be messing up an expensive Colt and scratching an antiqued gun really adds to the value!
I got the easy stuff (not that its terribly hard), backstrap, trigger guard i knew how to do. never had the action apart though. Not too bad . only thing was the instruction I was following did not mention taking out this very tiny screw just to the left of the hammer on the back left edge of the frame. It holds in a spring and a very short pin. The screw is hidden when the gripframe is re-installed. Q. Is this something unique to Uberti or do certain generations of Colts also have this pin/spring/screw ? also not really sure what exactly its function is .. seems to be an adjustment maybe since the screw could be turned farther in than flush. It looks to me like the little pin pushes against the hand assembly when installed.

Registered
Sounds like you found the loading gate detent & spring, see if the loading gate is now loose and if it is you should be able to remove it from the frame.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Naw.. wasn't that. this little screw is just above (or below.. can't remember) the screw hole of the left grip frame hole and only seen with the grip frame removed. It's on the opposite side of the hammer than the loading gate. The pin , spring and screw are inserted in the threaded hole in the same general direction as the barrel. I did not take the loading gate apart though.. guess I should do that next time to know how to do that as well. I'm not sure, but i'm thinking the loading gate detent, spring and all comes up from the bottom of the frame on the same side as the loading gate. i'm certainly not positive on that though.

Registered
That little spring & plunger on the Uberti is the spring that keeps the hand in tension against the cylinder ratchet.
They are not on a Colt. The Colt SAA has a leaf spring that is attached to the hand to perform this function.
Like the one in this picture:

Registered
Naw.. wasn't that. this little screw is just above (or below.. can't remember) the screw hole of the left grip frame hole and only seen with the grip frame removed. It's on the opposite side of the hammer than the loading gate. The pin , spring and screw are inserted in the threaded hole in the same general direction as the barrel. I did not take the loading gate apart though.. guess I should do that next time to know how to do that as well. I'm not sure, but i'm thinking the loading gate detent, spring and all comes up from the bottom of the frame on the same side as the loading gate. i'm certainly not positive on that though.
A word of caution,before u dis-assemble the action in a uberti u MUST remove the small screw on the rear of the frame to the left of the hammer,be careful there's a spring & a plunger underneath it,if u don't when u remove the hammer & hand assembly the spring & plunger will shoot thru to the milled out area where the hand is & curl up in there & it's a bitch to get it out of there w/o damaging it before u try to re-assemble the hammer & hand assembly. I hope this helps.

Banned
I've just lost my desire to disassemble my SAA Uberti (6 digit S/N) imported by Mitchell Arms .....I'm not good with small parts as they tend to disappear, fly through the air and land who knows where. :)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8
A word of caution,before u dis-assemble the action in a uberti u MUST remove the small screw on the rear of the frame to the left of the hammer,be careful there's a spring & a plunger underneath it,if u don't when u remove the hammer & hand assembly the spring & plunger will shoot thru to the milled out area where the hand is & curl up in there & it's a bitch to get it out of there w/o damaging it before u try to re-assemble the hammer & hand assembly. I hope this helps.
I got lucky and did not damage it because I didn't know to remove it. pin did shoot out but was found. Luckily I've got just enough sense to figure out what it probably did.. I did see once hammer and hand assembly was removed that the Uberti did not have the leaf spring that Swamp rat mentioned also. I was able to get the spring out and also re-assembled okay. Just wasnt sure I had done the right thing with no instructions on it. I screwed the tiny screw that holds the spring in just flush with the frame. It would screw in further but I figured it would be squashing the spring if in too far. the action seemed okay when I got done. Just wasn't gonna shoot it until I got feedback from someone who knew for sure. I appreciate you guys setting me straight on this.

Banned
I got lucky and did not damage it because I didn't know to remove it. pin did shoot out but was found. Luckily I've got just enough sense to figure out what it probably did.. I did see once hammer and hand assembly was removed that the Uberti did not have the leaf spring that Swamp rat mentioned also. I was able to get the spring out and also re-assembled okay. Just wasnt sure I had done the right thing with no instructions on it. I screwed the tiny screw that holds the spring in just flush with the frame. It would screw in further but I figured it would be squashing the spring if in too far. the action seemed okay when I got done. Just wasn't gonna shoot it until I got feedback from someone who knew for sure. I appreciate you guys setting me straight on this.
If, perchance, something runs amok and you need a replacement Uberti you might talk be out of mine with the 2 cylinders (LC & ACP) as I was contemplating using it to finance yet another project :p....I really need to get a grip :rolleyes:

Registered
Had a customer with a Puma revolver, (same as a Uberti) bring it in, the cyl. would rotate and fire, but occasionally would not rotate. Seems he had disassembled the gun & lost that little pin that sets in front of the spring. Took a while to figure it out and could not find anything on Pumas (made in Italy) anywhere. Called Taylor & Co., they import the Uberti's, got the pin & spring from them, fit just right, worked perfect.

Registered
Go here for a FREE video:

Colt 45 takedown - YouTube

Do NOT imitate this knucklehead's gun twirling antics. :rolleyes: The Colt SAA is exactly the same as this gun basically.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts