Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Browning Buckmark - nice .22 - lately, when loading, it has a problem with the rounds seating in the barrel when you have the slide open, place a mag in, pull the slide back the last bit and release it. Round tries to enter barrel as slide moves forward but is off about 1/4" to either side of barrel opening. The round then acts like wooden match stuck between body of the gun and slide. Sometimes the round is pushed into a stove-pipe position by the slide trying to seat it properly, and the case of the round is then crushed in the middle as the slide hits it with the round facing straight up.

If I load with a closed slide - and pull it all the way back very quickly and then release it forward, the round does seem to seat in the barrel OK.

I'll try an A+ cleaning in case it's that, if not send it to Browning via air Fed-Ex or air UPS.

Anyone know which is least expensive? And if by much?

Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems lately I'm giving Fed EX and/or UPS a lot of funding. Just shipped my Colt 1911 WWI Repro yesterday - might have mentioned the odd and highly dangerous problem it has: "Hammer Follow" or "Hammer Following Slide". Means the hammer falls, (when tested by a range worker to the half-cock), when the slide is cycling and in it's forward movement - no finger pulling the trigger. I was shooting it with that problem unknowingly the 2 weeks before and I don't if know the hammer then fell to half-notch or all the way to the firing mechanism. As a related problem a live round is jammed half-in/half-out of the barrel at the same time.

Highly dangerous: as someone here related who had the same thing, "Hammer Follow" with their 1911-style .380, his gun went on full-automatic and - with no finger anywhere near the trigger - shot the entire mag, Bang, Bang, Bang etc - on it's own. Mine is a 45 and I'd REALLY like to avoid that, or just the gun firing once as the slide moves forward. Noooooooooooooooo thanks!

So, that gun is in the air as we speak, flying to Conn. But Colt paid the shipping. Browning doesn't - drats! The latter gun is 2 yrs old - Browning has a weird non-warranty warranty.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
If you have a FFL LGS around they can ship it for you using USPS. I have found it 3 times cheaper then sending a firearm myself through UPS or FedEx.

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
Fed-Ex are hopeless, incompetent screwups around here. UPS is the way I would go. It also is cheaper from here as the UPS terminal is much closer. As always, JMHO.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
My FFL charges $25 for handguns and $35 for long guns which he'll professionally pack, label, insure and ship (I believe USPS) so that would be your best bet. If you don't have a local FFL LGS then I'd go the UPS route as I've found them reliable. IMHO.

·
Registered
Colt 1911 Gold Cups The best ever made
729 Posts
I've used UPS on a couple of occasions with no problems. It should work well here since UPS is based here.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Personally, I will not use UPS for anything. Had a Kimber 1911 stolen by a UPS employee on the way back to the factory. I had it insured for $1200 but UPS told me I had to provide a receipt to prove the value of the pistol. I really didn't want to lock horns with them over this so I provided it although I strongly disagreed. Had I not had it, we would have tangled. Took them all of 2 months to pay off their insurance claim. Very poor treatment from start to finish.

Have you tried calling Browning for a pre-paid shipping label? I've found COLT to be very fair about picking up shipping charges.

Good luck with Browning/Winchester repair service. I have found them to be some of the worst in the industry. So much so that I will no longer buy their guns.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Personally, I will not use UPS for anything. Had a Kimber 1911 stolen by a UPS employee on the way back to the factory. I had it insured for $1200 but UPS told me I had to provide a receipt to prove the value of the pistol. I really didn't want to lock horns with them over this so I provided it although I strongly disagreed. Had I not had it, we would have tangled. Took them all of 2 months to pay off their insurance claim. Very poor treatment from start to finish.

Have you tried calling Browning for a pre-paid shipping label? I've found COLT to be very fair about picking up shipping charges.

Good luck with Browning/Winchester repair service. I have found them to be some of the worst in the industry. So much so that I will no longer buy their guns.
I had a friend that had this happen. They wanted him to prove what it was worth. He argued that they should ask this then at the time he pays for the insurance. His position was that I insured for X amount of dollars then thats what you should pay, It doesn't matter what the item was or cost. He did get his money, but he did have to argue with them a bit.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

No. Browning has an unstated warranty, means if the gun's the problem - and I guess if it's new enough - they'll repair. Hopefully they at least ship in back for free in such a case.

I don't like that - they should give a written warranty like most other companies - Colt and Sig for life. I think Glock too.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Well Browning has a warranty that sounds very much like it's in their favor [see above] - so maybe I'll just get my range gunsmith to take a look at my gun. I may also not buy another from Browning, I mean if a company won't stand behind their product with an explicit warranty why should I buy it.

Have you hear Browning/Winchester frequently decide not to cover repair costs?

I mean it's been a nice gun but only cost $300, I don't want to spend like 80 bucks, a quater of it's original value, just to ship it without even knowing if Browning'll cover repairs - I bet it will be close to 80 the shipping.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
To prove the value of a gun for insurance purposes I just have my gunsmith write out a simple appraisal on his regular receipt pad stating the retail value. Works for damage and repair claims too. My UPS rep told me this is all necessary because of people who make their living off of filing false UPS claims.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From op:

Turns out a good cleaning cured the problem, so I won't have to send it to Browning. I had already decided not to. Their "maybe we have a warranty and maybe we don't" ticked me off. So I was going to let the range gunsmith look at it.

They say you can go light on cleaning .22s but I went too light. Feed-ramp was all covered with junk, that's why the round didn't seat properly.

Live and learn..........

·
Registered
214 Posts
Turns out a good cleaning cured the problem, so I won't have to send it to Browning. I had already decided not to. Their "maybe we have a warranty and maybe we don't" ticked me off. So I was going to let the range gunsmith look at it.

They say you can go light on cleaning .22s but I went too light. Feed-ramp was all covered with junk, that's why the round didn't seat properly.

Live and learn..........
The opposite has been true in my experience. My pistol's in .22lr get substantially more gunked up than my centerfire pistols. I also recall one the .22LR shooters at a Steel Challenge match mentioning that many of the old-time Bullseye shooters would put a drop of oil on the top round in the magazine on their .22 Bullseye pistols to help reduce malfunctions. I'd assume it has to do with all the unburnt powder since standard .22 ammunition is designed for rifles with longer barrels.

And on the subject of FedEx and UPS, my experience also seems to be opposite of most. The UPS drivers around here are dumb as a mud fence...the FedEx drivers are generally way more competent. UPS has a bad habit of leaving boxes that require signature on my porch when I'm not home.

·
Premium Member
7,486 Posts
As is the observation here, it seems a business is only as good as its local level employees make it. I have similiar bad and good experiences with UPS and Fedex over the last 20 years as the local deliverers come and go. Most are super, some in a stupor.

I take deliveries most days for parts to fix medical equipment ranging from screws and electronics to large covers to heavyweight shipped items. When there is a problem with the package that one person could lift, its normally item damaged in shipping and 99.9% the packer's fault. poorly packaged. The large items vary because of the equipment used to move it.. could be damaged despite how its packed. (Good to know if you're shipping your cannon I guess) anyway, Guns. Most FFL's do the correct packing. A non-FFL shipper, I've gotten and heard of many poorly packaged. These boxes will get thrown, squashed, conveyored, and are not packaged to take the abuse. I worked for UPS at a terminal hub near Richmond, VA 25 yrs ago, and a box may be thrown the length of a tractor trailer when filling it begins and a "box wall" built. A box on the bottom of the wall will have boxes the height of the trailer sitting on it. The box comes down the same conveyor that farm equipment and tires do. I don't know how Fedex ground and Fedex vary from this, but my parts come fedex and do show up damaged if not packaged correctly.
Costs. My company gets a huge discount with fedex ground, Fedex, and UPS. I don't know if some FFL business's get a discounted price or not, but its the safe way to ship it. By the time an individual purchases the materials to ship it properly, he has paid what he would an FFL shipper to do it the right way.
If you don't feel comfortable standing on your boxed up gun and throwing it to your car.. I'd repack it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've always had good luck with gun shipments, including NFA guns, with the USPS. Always use Registered Priority Mail when you ship
and their insurance rates are reasonable and has a $5,000,000 limit.
My 2 cents,
Darryl

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The opposite has been true in my experience. My pistol's in .22lr get substantially more gunked up than my centerfire pistols. I also recall one the .22LR shooters at a Steel Challenge match mentioning that many of the old-time Bullseye shooters would put a drop of oil on the top round in the magazine on their .22 Bullseye pistols to help reduce malfunctions. I'd assume it has to do with all the unburnt powder since standard .22 ammunition is designed for rifles with longer barrels.

And on the subject of FedEx and UPS, my experience also seems to be opposite of most. The UPS drivers around here are dumb as a mud fence...the FedEx drivers are generally way more competent. UPS has a bad habit of leaving boxes that require signature on my porch when I'm not home.

Thanks for that info about .22s. I use CCI Stinger or another CCI, great ammo, and besides that always assumed and heard the round is so small little gunk builds up. I'l be cleaning my gun more often now. I do the others very time I shoot or at least if it's 100 rds - except my new Sig P220 Elite, which gets cleaned after every range trip, too good a gun to treat less than best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way when I first got the Sig I posted photos. http://www.coltforum.com/forums/lounge/50189-my-new-sig-p220-elite-stainless-look.html

Am happy to report after first 500-600 rounds no stoppages of any kind and accurate as hell as it is smooth as an angels bottom. (a baby angel)

·
Registered
758 Posts
I've always had good luck with gun shipments, including NFA guns, with the USPS. Always use Registered Priority Mail when you ship
and their insurance rates are reasonable and has a $5,000,000 limit.
My 2 cents,
Darryl
Non-FFL holders don't have this option, unfortunately.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts