Colt Forum banner

Left handed revolvers

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  MitchM 
#1 ·
Please excuse the stupid question....Every revolver that I've ever seen has the cylinder opening to the left. How do left handed folks use a revolver that opens this way? I assume that after firing, they have to transfer the revolver to their right hand to eject the brass and reload? Can the gun be modified to open to the right? Always been curious!

#2 ·
I'm born southpaw, I'm so use two right handed everything it doesn't bother me much anymore.
Although since I found a Remington 700 in lefty I need any bolt action to be lefty!
Single action's are no problem at all. I don't have a double action at this time.

#3 ·
I'm a rightie but for several years I have been shooting both left and right. I have gotten so that I can shoot just as well Leftie as rightie. I don't feel there is any disadvantage to the actual shooting Leftie. Of course the loading and unloading are set up for righties but the important part is the shooting and the loading/ unloading can be accomplished Leftie without too much problem.

#4 ·
I'm southpaw as well. For reloads I do strong hand reload, in my case that means moving the gun to right. Works for me, some delay caused by having to break and rebuild gun grip but eventually I will get back on target =;

-Garth

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

#6 ·
While about anything is possible given enough money and the services of a true Master pistolsmith, it's not Real World practicable to convert a left-opening cylinder to open to the right.

In the past a few foreign made, mostly military revolvers opened to the right, but the standard as set by Colt in 1889 with the New Army & Navy models has been used by most revolver designers since.

There are various techniques for a left-handed person to operate a standard DA revolver.....
Mine is to use my right hand to switch the gun around in my left hand so I'm gripping the frame with my two middle fingers pressing on the right side of the cylinder.
Since I almost always use a two-handed grip this is easy.

I operate the cylinder latch (Colt or S&W) with my right hand thumb and push the cylinder open with my left hand two middle fingers,
I turn the gun muzzle up and give it a downward shake as I press the ejector rod with my left thumb.
This insures the empty cases fall free, and helps insure that burned powder particles don't get trapped under the ejector.
At the same time my right hand is getting a speedloader out of a pouch.

I then pull the gun in close to my body, muzzle down, as I insert the speedloader and drop the loaded rounds into the chambers as I rotate the cylinder with my left thumb to insure the rounds don't bind and drop in.
As speed shooter Jerry Miculek teaches, bringing a pistol close to the body during a reload gives far better control then if it's held out away.

Then I close the cylinder with my left thumb and use my right hand to switch the gun into my left hand in a shooting grip, as my right hand to goes into a two hand grip.

This sounds a lot slower then it really is, and works for me.
However, as always, reloading a revolver by any means takes lots and lots of practice to maintain speed and reliability of the reload.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.