Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I was wondering if anybody has any idea of the value of this gun? I have a Colt letter coming. I had it listed for sale on GB and GA and GI but pulled it off. Do you know anything about the gun? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
Amazing piece! Difficult to tell from pic but probably a Huey case which are top of the line and quite expensive. Grips look like carved ivory similar to ones done by Nutmeg or Persinger. Value is in the eye of the beholder. Without a personal examination or documentation I would say 8 to $10 thousand.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No i dont have, that is why i have the colt letter ordered. I did reach out to a company by chicago, il. that said it looks like the case and tools they made for colt years ago. The gun is signed under the barrel FRANCOLINI ENG.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Francolini’s style either appeals to someone or it doesn’t. I’m mostly in the latter camp but over the years, some of his work has grown on me. This is a nicely done example. Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
10,814 Posts
I agree on the Huey case. Top of the line. Ivory I'd bet is neither Nutmeg or Persinger. Looks to be Dan Chesiak's work. Neat presentation. And a expensive package. Be interesting to see the back story on that one from the Colt letter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info Yahoody. When i recieve the letter (which will be some time yet) i will post it on here. That is why i pulled the sale of this gun, i really wanted to know more about it.

·
Registered
10,814 Posts
My 2 cents for value. The gold work is nice and the engraver very well known but it will be the Colt provenance and the original owner's name and the back story of the project if it can be documented that will define the value on this one. Good luck, beautiful gun and presentation!

Letter? I would have called and gotten all the info over the phone, with the letter to follow. Peace of mind for the $ involved on this one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didnt know i could do that? Beverly called me about the order and the gun but never said anymore then how much and how long it would take. And you are correct on the peace of mind. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
21,834 Posts
My guess is that Francolini did the work on this one outside the Colt factory. If that is the case, it will not letter. As Yahoody suggested, get an immediate history on this one by paying extra. No matter if Francolini did the work while he was or was not at Colt, it will be quite valuable. Probably worth $10K++.

·
Registered
10,814 Posts

Looking at all the ivory that was used in this display case, and the additonal carving, the grips almost pale by comparison. While understated in engraving and finish this is an exceptional, gold inlayed and over lay, presentaion Colt. I am betting on a very interesting Colt history.

More here:

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-...francolini-engraved-colt-sing-51-c-82f467e8e5

Custom deluxe engraved and 24 K gold inlaid Colt SAA revolver by Master engraver Leonard Francolini,

I'd also take some better pictures and email them off to the engraver and ask him what he remembers of the gun.

[email protected] <[email protected]>;

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank You Saintclair and everybody else. I will call Beverly again and ask for immediate history and pay the extra. I have tried contacting Mr. Francolini several times by phone and e-mail and never got a answer so i feel that is a dead end road.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.