Colt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
A Colt Thuer 41 Rimfire Derringer with "P. Tapia" engraved on backstrap. This model manufactured 1875 to 1912, and Colt has no shipping records on these.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
How about a Magazine fed, single shot .22 LR called the Fiala? Here's my "incomplete" Model 1920. Designed for use in the Arctic and Antarctic you have to manually push the side forward to cock the gun. Full kits came with a variety of barrels; and unlike mine, the barrels have front sights!

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
A history even more complicated than the gun

The "Competitor Single Shot", a little-known SS pistol that was a second cousin to the Ordnance Technology (Stetson, Maine) SSP-86, which had headspace problems. The SSP-86 was completely redesigned into the SSP-91, which solved the issue. That gun was sold as the Lone Eagle by Magnum Research. When M-R discontinued the SSP-91/Lone Eagle, one of the sub-contractors in the SSP-91 project, a man named Al Straitiff, bought the rights to the gun and almost completely redesigned it, calling it the "competitor."

He eliminated the cocking lever and cross-bolt safety, incorporating cocking into the rotary breech's opening rotation. As well, he designed in a spring-loaded automatic ejector and an adjustable trigger with a Glock-style trigger face safety (in addition to a sliding button on the rear of the breech). The big difference was that the barrels were user-changeable and eventually were offered in some 350+ different calibers. Thus, one could buy a single serial-numbered "receiver", then add a stock and various barrels to suit the heart's desire. The barrels being fairly simple to swap after removing the action from the stock. At least one was barreled in .458 Winchester Magnum. I can state, without reservation, that it is the most complicated single-shot weapon made - possibly including the Missouri's 16" guns.

He began production in a leased section of the H&R building, then moved to West Groton (MA), then to New Ipswich, NH and finally to Jaffrey, NH. From there??? I believe that Al retired and closed up shop. My example came as a 14" .444 Marlin with a muzzle brake (really good idea) and a 14" .223 spare barrel. I acquired a 16" .25-06 barrel with muzzle brake later on. The .25-06 is not bad at all to shoot, but you do not take 100 rounds of 444 to the range.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts

Sheridan (the pellet gun people) KNOCABOUT Single Shot .22 LR

Excellent! Very nice example of a weapon I was completely unaware of. I wonder if the Daisy 22 rifles will be in this category some day...

How about a Magazine fed, single shot .22 LR called the Fiala? Here's my "incomplete" Model 1920. Designed for use in the Arctic and Antarctic you have to manually push the side forward to cock the gun. Full kits came with a variety of barrels; and unlike mine, the barrels have front sights!
Was it perhaps produced by Hartford Arms, the predecessor of High Standard? During college about 100 year ago it seems, one girl's mother had a Hartford Arms.22, serial #609. Don't ask me why I remember numbers like that...

Some of you guys have some beauties. I have only one single shot, a J. Stevens Tip Up .22. A model 35 I think.
A fine example of elegant simplicity. What a stark contrast to the polymer bricks we have today.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
Can I put a double barrel here? It`s a .50 caliber teat fire something. No makers name, figure it`s some european maker probably in the 1830`s?? A collector friend gave it to me almost fifty years ago. It has two holes drilled for a spring clip to put the gun in a belt or sash. He thought it might have been a pirates "boarding pistol". Has two folding triggers.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Some of you guys have some beauties. I have only one single shot, a J. Stevens Tip Up .22. A model 35 I think.
According to the book "L. Stevens Arms & Tool Company" by Joseph T. Vorisek you have post WWI Model 35 Offhand with the stamped trigger guard produced from 1923 - 1942. It was offered in 22lr, 22WFR, and 25 rimfire.
The Vorisek book does contain some inaccuracies but it is good for general information and has some great examples of Stevens ads for firearms, ammo, and accessories.
Unfortunately there isn't a lot of detailed early Stevens documentation available because of a fire that destroyed much of their company records.
Dr.Tramp..............

·
Registered
150 Posts
Can I put a double barrel here? It`s a .50 caliber teat fire something. No makers name, figure it`s some european maker probably in the 1830`s?? A collector friend gave it to me almost fifty years ago. It has two holes drilled for a spring clip to put the gun in a belt or sash. He thought it might have been a pirates "boarding pistol". Has two folding triggers.
That's a beauty. When I was kid I had a double barrel cap gun with big hammers that looked a lot like that though it didn't break open.
I think I got it at Disneyland right after they opened. We lived about 2 miles south of there and watched it get built.
If I still had that cap gun it would probably be worth as much a real firearm today. Oh well........... :)
Dr.Tramp............

·
Registered
368 Posts
Wow! Lots of neat stuff mostly new to me!

I REALLY like that Wurflein "switch barrel" .44--always wanted one of his single shot rifles, but never found one I could afford. I bet you guys never heard THAT song before! (Played to the same tune as "I sold my _____ to pay the down payment on my divorce attorney" and "I sold my gun collection so I could keep my house"!

Sad 'ol stuff, but excellent excuses to buy new and different guns when you do get back in the saddle!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 2, first is a RJ Braverman Stinger 22lr. I bought it new in the late 90s and now they sell for stupid money on gunbroker.
20141226_144142.jpg
Second one is a Shooter's Arms, it's a 32 black powder single shot.
20150128_115630_copy_1024x522.jpg

21 - 40 of 59 Posts