Colt Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
I got a Gun Digest for Christmas in 1963. I "digested" every word and photo on every page. I also checked the guns that were my wish list. The top of the list was the Remington XP-100! I didn't care that is was only a single shot, for a 13 year old boy it was loaded with cool! a decade later I had a chance to hold (and perhaps buy) the XP-100. I was profoundly disappointing to find that my grail gun was plastic (or probably Nylon 66). Many years later, still lusting after my idea of the XP-100, I checked into having stock replicated in fancy wood. As I recall, it was about 3 times the cost of the handgun! I ended up buying a S&W model 53 instead.
Someone must have one of these!

·
Registered
187 Posts
S&W 1st model of 91 single shot 22 short target pistol with H M Pope Olympic chambered barrel with left hand twist bore, trigger stop, & side screw adjustable rear target sight. It lettered as being shipped to Dr. R H Sayre, longtime officer, vice president, & president of the USRA, as well as captain of the first four U.S. Olympic pistol & revolver teams.
DSCF5838.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
[A O] Niedner Rifle Corp. barreled Remington model 1903 single shot .22lr target pistol with an Olympic Chamber barrel & custom front & rear sights. View attachment 734065 .
Very nice example, from what I can see. A.O.Niedner, the developer of the .25-06 cartridge in the 20s - algthough it took until 1969 for Remington to legitimize it.

Reactions: 777Wheelgunn

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Many years ago I read, and kept for many years, an article in Guns magazine by Frank Haas, or maybe Frank de Haas,
I believe, about handgun wildcats. One of his I remember distinctly was a converted Remington Rolling Block chambered in what he called .401 Special, which I think was the same as the .401 Eimer. That sort of flung a hankerin' on me for a Rolling Block pistol, though that never came to fruition.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
After two threads starting out with a Camp Perry and then getting some other brands thrown in, it looks like a lot of us have some single shot pistols. Lets show some of them.
Camp Perry's, both from 1927.

Folbert 6mm parlor pistol.

Stevens Model 10 from 1920.

Savage Model 101 fake revolver.

Stoeger Model 769 .22, imported from Germany in the early 1930's. There are several different styles of these from different gun guild makers. None have any makers marks.

Stevens Model 35. Made from the late 1800's almost until WWII.

Harrington and Richardson U.S.R.A. model.

With some USRA medals.

Hopkins and Allen.

Of course the Smith and Wesson's.
3rd model perfected 10", 1st model, Model 1891 .38S&W 6", 2nf model with cut barrel and another 3rd model.

2nd model 10".

Here are some more pictures of the first model .38. It came in a box, possibly original. Supposedly only 60 made in this caliber. I just recently traded it off for an inscribed New Army. It's one of the few that I've let go that I will miss.

[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]
A 1780's Mortimer - London. A 60 caliber smoothbore made by Harvey Walklate Mortimer (1753-1819).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
Reactions: thecoltguy

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
How about a Magazine fed, single shot .22 LR called the Fiala? Here's my "incomplete" Model 1920. Designed for use in the Arctic and Antarctic you have to manually push the side forward to cock the gun. Full kits came with a variety of barrels; and unlike mine, the barrels have front sights!

Not truly a "single shot" to be very precise. A manually operated repeater in the same vein as a bolt action rifle. But, sure is interesting and well worth posting here.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Nothing quite as fancy as the beautiful Camp Perrys, H&Rs, or the Smith &Wessons; but I do have one .22 Single Shot that a lot of you will have never heard about! The Sheridan Company's stock and trade was pellet guns. Their "Knocabout" .22 tip up single shot was their foray into the world of .22 rimfire. The barrel with sights are machined from one piece of steel; the "receiver" is sheet metal.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Not to be outdone by all these old classics, targets and Camp Perry's from the good years, I submit my humble offering. It cost half of what the tax stamp for that muffler did, I haven't fired it yet, it's the custom shop package with both threaded and non-threaded barrels and I have no idea why I bought it. Maybe just because I could, it was there, I was there and I had already eaten that day. I believe sending it off for some custom ivory may be next.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Only single shots I can find are a pair of Ketland flintlocks, pair of Moore caplocks and a James Rodgers (before Unwin became involved) knife pistol.

IMG_0031.JPG

And a few No 3 Colts.

IMG_0027.JPG

41 - 59 of 59 Posts