Re: let\'s see the Pythons!

OK, I'll go first

- Pat

[This message has been edited by proco (edited 02-29-2004).]

·
Registered
535 Posts

O-o-o-o! Don't own a Python, at the moment, though I've owned three, over the years. (And one original Trooper, an Officer's Model Match, two Official Police's and now, one .357.) Guys, tell me about these silver guns!? I'm thinking they're both stainless? Yes? How about the grips on Mr. SIG's? Gorgeous - and I would think, very GOOD, too. How close does a stainless Elite come to looking like nickel? Is it really more scratch resistant? I've still never seen a real-life stainless one. Does Colt ACTUALLY still make them?

·
Registered
18 Posts

I took a nickel '83 Python that had some copper showing thru and decided to turn it into a serious shooter. I wasn't worried about resale value since I never sell my guns. I had it hard chromed and added a set of German made Nill grips. The gun can take some abuse, it cleans up easily and the grips make the gun balance out perfectly. This 4" Python is more accurate than some 6" S+Ws.

·
Registered
794 Posts

Looks like brainon's gun also has the Colt Elliason rear sight.

The 1st two guns are nickel. Colt didn't offer a SS version in those years. They stopped producing a nickel Python I believe around 1985.

Nickel finish looks a lot different than SS. Nickel has an almost yellow tinge, & is often mirror like.

Problem with nickel is since it is a plating, it is suseptable to pealing/flaking over time & use. SS on the other hand is an easy finish to maintain.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Here's one I built for a customer last year. He sent me a 6 inch Python and a nice 3 inch barrel he found. I installed the 3 inch barrel, did a Super Tune trigger job, ground the trigger smooth and polished the face, shortened the hammer spur, dehorned the entire gun and had it matte hard chromed. The trigger is nice, light and smooth with no stacking. This isn't a safe queen, he shoots this revolver!

------------------
Dave Berryhill
Berryhill Custom Gunsmithing

[This message has been edited by Dave Berryhill (edited 03-24-2004).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts