Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets see your favorite Colt\'s!

Seeing Hawkeye's post made me realize I don't see many photos posted on this site, so I thought I would start one. How about showing some photos of your favorite Colts (or whatever)...

One of my favorite guns, 1947 Government model.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Re: Lets see your favorite Colt\'s!

Here, here! I agree. I'd be happy to join you, but I'm somewhat camera challenged! Michael, which do you like to shoot better - the OMM or the SM? They ARE gorgeous! Like that old timey .45, too, automan! I always like the idea of being able to take the gun apart and really clean it, which I just won't do with a Colt 2X revolver. How does the .45 shoot? What opinions have you about the newer barrels, collet bushing, etc.?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

She shoots great! I have put about 1400 rounds through her with 0 malfunctions! Of course I am talking about 230 GR RN FMJ but she will even handle some hollow points (she seems to have a preference for Remington Golden Sabre). I have owned a lot of Colt's over the years, most from post-war until early 90's models and all have been great shooting, well made weapons. The only 1 exception being a 70s series that some "gunsmith" tinkered with and I had to send to a real gunsmith to get it 100% reliable again. I have owned many "70 series" and "pre 70 series", the 70 series pistols might be more accurate but only marginally. I have also heard stories about the collet bushing breaking after hard use (or whatever) and jamming the gun up but have never experienced it myself after firing thousands of rounds through my 70 series guns....

·
Registered
99 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rcwambold:
...Michael, which do you like to shoot better - the OMM or the SM? ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The O.M. feels like a more balanced gun in my hand than the SM ... although I wouldn't ever kick either one out of the gun bag!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Michael Stern, very nice pair of revolvers and nice photo too. Now that I have figured out how to post photos I guess I need to learn how to take better photos. Any tips, or maybe a site that you know of???

·
Registered
99 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 45automaticman:
Michael Stern, very nice pair of revolvers and nice photo too. Now that I have figured out how to post photos I guess I need to learn how to take better photos. Any tips, or maybe a site that you know of???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm certainly no pro, but the one piece of advice I got, and can pass along, is that you want to use indirect rather than direct light. In other words, a built-in camera flash that shoots the light right at the subject will wash it out. If you can get an auxiliary flash that allows you to "bounce" the light off the ceiling or a white card, that will produce those nice, evenly lit pictures. If that's not possible, the best alternative is to take the pictures outdoors on a hazy day when the sunlight is diffuse rather than harsh. FWIW!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks for the info. The flash looks like it might be my problem. I will have to give it a try...

·
Registered
535 Posts

Where? Who? What? Well, .45 man and Michael Stern, ... still just us, huh? And the only camera I have - or am likely to have - is a Polaroid! (I like the camera but it's not much use on these pages, is it?) Someday, I want to shoot one of those Shooting Masters. I've owned a WWI .45 and an Officer's Model Match and they were both great guns, but the SM's not something you come across every day. They did make those in .357, didn't they?

·
Registered
99 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rcwambold:
...the SM's not something you come across every day. They did make those in .357, didn't they?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the one in the picture is a .357, made in 1940 and billed to me as having belonged to bullet-maker Vernon Speer (but no formal provenance on that). There's a .38 SM currently listed on Auction Arms, but who knows what the reserve is...
http://www.auctionarms.com/Search/DisplayItem.cfm?ItemNum=5568121

·
Registered
794 Posts

The auction referenced above does not have a reserve. So his opening bid ($695) is what he is willing to take.

·
Registered
99 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WS23:
The auction referenced above does not have a reserve. So his opening bid ($695) is what he is willing to take.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right you are. If someone gets it at that price, and if it's as described, that's a pretty good deal, I.M.O.

·
Registered
224 Posts

Well here is one of mine. A nice match Target from 1964, with Her Ivory stocks.

------------------
An Armed Society Is A
Polite Society

[This message has been edited by Tusker10MM (edited 03-30-2004).]

·
Registered
535 Posts

Thanks, Michael, for the tip about the SM! No guns for me for another coupla' months 'till bonus time. Then ... the SM is high on the list, that's for sure! Mr. Tusker - GREAT picture! I know who Fitzgerald of Colt fame was - is that who's honor the "fitz," on your patch is? Over?

·
Registered
127 Posts

My favorite Colts?

Let me preface this with a short rant: I hate Colt! More specifically, I love Colt guns, but hate the Colt company. If the Colt horse was a flesh and blood creature, it would have been taken behind the barn and Dad would have put one in it’s ear decades ago.

I started my love affair with guns with Colts, then I fled to S&W. Why? I was embarassed at the companys repeated bankruptcies, revolving leadership, inability to create a new marketable product (except perhaps for the Anaconda). The ultimate reason was that, as an amatuer historian and as an author, I was appaled at the outrageous fee’s Colt charged for a letter. I was also unhappy with their bonding and surety system for researchers who wanted to do research at the factory. This struck me profoundly and has lead me to believe that Colt has developed an attitude that Colt can do no wrong and if you don’t like what they do, tough.

I’m in NYC and spend a lot of time working with and sometimes for the NYCPD. Thats 40,000 guys. Not one of whom can carry a current production firearm from Colt, since Colt doesn’t make anything the NYCPD would approve of. This department bought over 70,000 Dick Specials in the last century, and probably that many again AS/OP’s. This department says “.38 Sepcial Only’ for revolvers (stoking a .357 Magnum with .38’s is not allowed). Colt ---DOES NOT EVEN MAKE- a .38 Special revolver anymore. At least Smith still makes the Model 10 in .38, and they are custom chambering the 640 in .38 only for NYCPD. Colt doesnt even make a small frame revolver. Period.

Double Eagle, Colt 2000, SFV-II, etc., etc. What were they thinking? At least the Anaconda worked out, sort of. Took great big brass one’s for Colt to finally decide after almost 40 years “Hey, this .44 Magnum things isn’t a passing fancy. Let’s make one!”. At least they had the good sense to pass on the .41 Magnum.

Explain to me how a company that INVENTED the SAA, the 1911, the OP, the DS and the M16 (not invented, marketed) can get so badly screwed? Why is it when people want a good 1911, they buy Kimber. Why do they buy a Ruger or Freedom Arms or even a Uberti when they want an SAA? Why do they buy a Smith 36/60 or a Ruger SPNY when they need an off duty piece? Why was my M16 in college made by General Motors? Why was my M16A2 in the Marines made by FN? Why are the M4’s that NYCPD/ESU carry from Bushmaster? Is it all price? Colt -invented- the freaking things! You would think that a) they’d have the machinery on hand to still make them and b) they could do it cheaply because they amortized the cost of the freaking tooling when the boys came back from Korea!

Now I’m personally tempted to blame it all on the unions, and I suppose they are partially responsible. Then again there’s a lot of heat here so everyone is going to catch a little napalm; I blame the unions, management, marketing, development (or lack thereof) and to a lesser degree the public for not supporting Colt a bit more. S&W has unions but they seem to be ok at the moment. They still market about 4 times the product Colt does, at a better price.

So what is Colt today. It is a widely recognized internationally known brand name that is an inescapable part of the American lexicon and history. It is a name known the world over in just about every language of every nation that has ever burned powder. It’s product are recognized in every part of the world where there has been a military presence, a western movie or a frontier. It is a company that today produces essentially 5 guns (1911, SAA, Python, Anaconda and AR15) that have changed the world. For all that history, it is shameful that there most valuable asset, and that the one that they market more than quality, selection and price, is their name: COLT.

On to my favorite Colts.

I own a fair number of Colts, but these two are probably my favorites simply for the history the hold. I haven’t started researching them yet, but will one day. Still, you have to know that by virtue of their original profession, the must hold some stories.

These SAA’s both have the US property stamping on the frames. The top gun (Artillery) is numbered 132616 on the butt, 116424 (over the letter G) on the triggerguard and 120686 on the frame. The Cavalry Model is numbered 6579 on the butt, 7743 on the triggerguard and 47743 on the frame (under an HN inpestor mark. Nettleson I imagine).

Obviously, the barrel on the Cavalry is a replacement as the front sight is incorrect. The barrel has no markings, save for a K under the ejector rod housing (Kittridge?). grips are obviously replacement.

the Artillery is numbered 460 on the cylinder with a letter P on one side of the cylinder. Single line barrel address. G on the frame where the hammer goes into it. RAC on the underside of the barrel (Carr) with matching date cartouched grips.

Closeup of US marks.

Closeup of Cavalry s/n.

Closeup of Artillery s/n.

I collect US martial arms and despite thier somewhat patina-ed appearance, these are my pride and joy. I never thought I’d have a pair of martially marked SAA’s for my collection, but they wandered in one day. $550 for the pair! That was 10 years ago. They were in a museum display for a while, and now are home and hidden away in one of the vaults.

When I have more time and money, I plan to do a lot more research on them.

Every now and again I get tempted to sell them to finance my eventual opening of my own gunshop (as compared to the one I have with a prtner right now). Any idea what they woudl go for nowadays? JUST ASKING, don’t really plan to sell; just want an idea of value.

Best,
RM Vivas www.vivasandson.com

·
Registered
535 Posts

Oh, my! My dear RM Vivas ... I'll buy one of your books! You write very well, Sir. And I agree 100% with everything you say! If I was lonely and a female, I'd want to get to know you better!! (And I STILL plan to buy one of your DS's!) FWW, you may be interested in a parallel of the Colt business. Since I've been a musician all my life, I've seen the same thing happen to King and Bach band instruments ( the horns Dorsey and Miller played,) and Hammond Organ and Steinway piano. (Ever hear of them?!)Thoughtful pun intended. BUT LAY OFF THE UNIONS! The unions only get what they can for the workers. No blood from no turnips. If it wasn't for the guy on the shop floor, etc., etc. I think you know what I think management can do. I just wish people weren't so, literally, no curse intended, GD greedy. What would have happened to any of these companies if they 've gone Co-Op in the 30's? They'd STILL make the BEST product in the world and, "if you build a better mouse-trap ..."
I share your feelings about Colt and understand completely. And thanks for the great pix! Nothing NYPD will buy? Is that right? Doesn't NYPD carry Glocks like the rest of the world?

·
Registered
127 Posts

Thanks for the kind words.

Don't start me on Unions!

NYPD -currently- authorizes S&W 5946, Sig 226, Glock 19 for on duty. there may still be a few Berettas and Ruger P89's on the street. All the old revolvers are grandfathered.

Based on my experience, research and observations, the following have been authorized at one time or another from Colt:

.32 New Police
Police Positive
Police Positive Special
Detective Special (in .32 (rare) and .38 Spec.)
Offcial Police
Army Special
Commando
Metropolitan
M1903 Hammerless in .380 (with NYPD property marks)
Also:
1895/1914 Potato Digger machine guns
Monitor BAR's
Thompsons in various flavors (including serial #76 which I've seen, and serial #9 which was destroyed)

I believe that is it for NYPD Colts, although I suppose I may have missed one. these are just the authorized ones. Unauthorized stuff runs pretty much the whole Colt product line.

ADDED: I did see some modified prototype Colt 2000's that Colt was trying to get adpted here. they were rightfully rejected. Interesting design, but not really practical or durable. Or comfortable.

Best,
RM Vivas www.vivasandson.com

[This message has been edited by rm vivas (edited 04-16-2004).]

·
Registered
32 Posts

How do I post pictures? I have a digital camera but I can't seem to be able to cut and paste the pictures in the post.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts