Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 713 Posts

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Re: Let\'s see your New Service\'s

I'm late to this party but I got a digital camera since this thead first came out so now I can play New Services. I've got a couple of US Military models.

The Model 1909 (top) was obtained from the original owner who's father gave it to him in 1920. It was one of five purchased from the San Antonio Arsenal. The other four were used to equip nightwatchmen for an ice house and ice cream plant that my friend's father ran in San Antonio. The five revolvers cost $5.00 each and a 500 round supply of Frankfort Arsenal .45 ammunition was purchased for an additional $5.00.

The Model 1917 (bottom) was a gun show purchase from the early 1980's. I've always intended to upgrade it but have become sentimental about it. I've shot it more than any other Colt revolver I've owned. It's a good old shooter with perfect mechanics. Now the really nice ones bring big money and I've not seen any spare big money lying around the house lately for a lot of firearms purchases.

The New Service is my favorite DA Colt. There are so many interesting ones posted here. I hope this thread continues to pop up from time to time. If it was given a "sticky" like the Python thread I'd check in from time to time just to admire the New Services.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Re: Let\'s see your New Service\'s

Four early type New Services, 3 with straight 7 1/2" bbls., 1 tapered, all with square latches. .45 Colt model has special order fleur de lis walnut grips. Also note early trigger guard contour on earliest example, # 19837

#315714, .44 Russian and S&W Special cal
[image]
[/image]

#19837, 38 WCF cal.
[image]
[/image]

#135235, .45 Colt cal.
[image]
[/image]

#114007, .44-40 cal.
[image]
[/image]

[image]
[/image]

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
tommix,

Beautiful revolvers! Do you mind telling me what the last digit of the Shooting Master's serial number is?

Thanks,
Kevin Williams

·
Registered
502 Posts
Two .45 Colt Shootings Masters

Kevin: Your Shooting Masters are beautiful but you don't need 2 of them in that caliber. You should really think about some sort of trade with me, are you looking for anything in particular? Seriously, contact me by Email if you are, I would be interested in either of your S/M's.

Bill West

·
Registered
498 Posts
Due to a mutually beneficial trade with a member of the forum (Thanks Cam!), I was able to get a New Service with a 4 1/2 inch barrel in 38 wcf that I've been craving. Here it is with a Remington model 14 1/2 carbine in the same 38-40 caliber (extremely rare slide action) as well as other accoutrements circa-the 1920s.

John

1 - 20 of 713 Posts