Colt Forum banner

761 - 780 of 811 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Cam,

Outstand gun, as always !

Thanks for make me envious. Keep the pictures coming.

Beat

Reactions: thecoltguy

·
Registered
957 Posts
Skeeter Skelton wrote once about traveling through Texas before CC permits were issued. He was carrying a 4 1/2" .45 Colt NS stuck in his back pocket. As a traveler, he was legal, but that big New Service was spotted by a man in the bus terminal washroom, who called the police.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I’ve been a member for a long while but no matter what I did I couldn’t access the forum for the last few years. Today I tried again and autofilled my pw and it worked. Yea. Here’s my latest. A real deal RNWMP NS [one of my grail guns] that has been altered to .45 acp/autorim [which made it affordable]. Should be .45Colt. Thinking a po installed a 1917 ejector star and shortened the cylinder on the front as there’s a small stamping on the rear of the cylinder. No endshake and a tight lockup on all chambers. Guess he didn’t want to bugger it up too badly. Still the original finish. A good shooter.
FAC56E14-0F53-492C-B041-38A519752AD0.jpeg

·
Registered
707 Posts
Nice New Service and Welcome back

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Probably not another one in that condition around. Very nice!

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Both awesome! I like. :)

What is the little stand you have them on?

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
That letter showing Shapleigh ordered the Colt, shipped to the smaller Gart Brothers is interesting. Two great names in sports equipment (Keen Kutter was invented by Shapleigh). It proves what one of our passed members that was young in the 30s said: that some regional hardware stores would get their gun inventory from the big ones - Simmons and Shapleigh. I never look down at a letter that is "just Simmons" or "just a hardware store" because this is where the majority of cowboys and famous people bought them.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts

I purchased these for displaying my guns. Bought them off Gunbroker. I took a few quick indoor pics just now so that you could see how they look and work. Not sure on cost but not much, few dollars each.

Holding a very rare (Only one known) 5 1/2" .44 Russian New Service Target.
Gun dates to 1906.

I hope this helps,

Cam.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have two New Service revolvers for this thread. Both are from 1899.

Above is the newer addition to my collection. It is in 38 WCF and appears to be all original. Finish isn't great, but it is very good mechanically and just a little roughness in the bore (I haven't cleaned it yet...only been home a week). SN is 1782.

Below longer barrel gun is in 44 WCF. It is SN 407. Barrel has been replaced with a later version tapered one. Have had this one for about 3-4 years.

Rob

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Both very nice! Love the patina. :)

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts
Nice early guns and thanks for sharing. You need to stop by more often. You have been a member for 20 years and only have 80 posts.

Cam.

761 - 780 of 811 Posts