Colt Forum banner

781 - 800 of 811 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Colt New Service Serial No. 37 ; 5 1/2" barrel in .455Eley, English proofed, must have been in the very first shippment to Colt's London Agency at 10th. November 1898.
Unfortunately it has been reblued, dark greyish, but not parkerized quite sometime ago.
It is correct, as the lock still has that little fly pivot mounted.
The barrel has no patend dates on top, it just reads Colt's PT. F.A. MFG. Co HARTFORT CT. U.S.A.
The side plate has the ramped Colt and in circle around NEW SERVICE.
The s/n is on the frame, on the cylinder crane, inside on the side plate and on the cylinder release. The frame grip on the bottom left side is marked with a 1 and on the right side bottom with an o.
The grips are the usual hardrubber ones, not damaged.
British proofing marks are underneath the barrel and in each flute of the cylinder.
I am very happy to safe keep this old New Service, with the more round top strap and the recessed trigger guard for futher generations.
If that gun could talk.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here’s an interesting one, a New Service serial number 1805, 1899 production in .45 LC. A Canadian “broad arrow” is located on the upper left of the frame. The logical thing was to letter it. Unfortunately, Colt does not have the record for this gun. They did confirm that most of the adjacent numbers went to Canada in early 1900; January shipments were in .45 LC not .455 Eley like ones a few months later, both in 5 1;2 inch barrel configurations. Further research showed that these were procured by the Canadian And British for use in the Boer Wars.

Peacock blue is still present on the left trigger side and screws as well as the back of the hammer spur. It locks up like the proverbial bank vault.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
From what I learned researching an 1878 DA, These revolvers in 45 colt were hastily shipped in Jan 1900 to arm the Second Contingent of Canadian Mounted Rifles who sailed for South Africa in early February 1900.
The two I had Lettered to a Captain Curran, Montreal
Nice piece
P.S. No extra markings (due to haste?)

·
Registered
536 Posts
From what I learned researching an 1878 DA, These revolvers in 45 colt were hastily shipped in Jan 1900 to arm the Second Contingent of Canadian Mounted Rifles who sailed for South Africa in early February 1900.
The two I had Lettered to a Captain Curran, Montreal
Nice piece
P.S. No extra markings (due to haste?)
My No. 3995 in .455 went in April 1900 to Captn. Benoit through Lewis Brothers Montreal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't want you to spoil the beauty of a Colt New Service by posting a pic with a New Service and a S&W N-frame but I would like to see a direct comparison of both type of guns. So, does anyone of you have a New Service and a M24/25/27/28/29/624/629 to place it besides a Colt New Service? I've never seen a Colt New Service in real life.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't want you to spoil the beauty of a Colt New Service by posting a pic with a New Service and a S&W N-frame but I would like to see a direct comparison of both type of guns. So, does anyone of you have a New Service and a M24/25/27/28/29/624/629 to place it besides a Colt New Service? I've never seen a Colt New Service in real life.
Random pic I had on my computer.
WW1 Canadian NS
S&W M1917
S&W frame.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I recently added this San Antonio Police Department New Service to the collection:

It is chambered in .38 Special and has a 4" barrel. Bottom of butt marked S.A.P.D. No. 1 and was issued to Sergeant Edward Pytel.

[/QUOTE]
I recently added this San Antonio Police Department New Service to the collection:

It is chambered in .38 Special and has a 4" barrel. Bottom of butt marked S.A.P.D. No. 1 and was issued to Sergeant Edward Pytel.
Cam, that's definitely worth a WOW!

·
Registered
86 Posts
No freeloading.

My three.
1909 US Army
1915 built 4.5" in .455 Eley. London Proof House marked..I'm thinking a British officer private purchase?
1915 built Canadian marked. Also unit marked to the Canadian 12th machine gun company. The unit that my great uncle served in during WW1. He lost a leg a Vimy Ridge.

I have a thing for military guns.

Attachments

781 - 800 of 811 Posts